Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Computer Hangs at Detecting Storage devices...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Computer Hangs at Detecting Storage devices...

I have HP Pavillion M8530f, this morning when I boot up it hangs at "detecting storage devices.." message just after the HP logo at startup,
    I pressed f10 to go to bios but same thing can not even go to bios to check if the HDD is recognized in BIOS,
    When I unplug the HDD and press f10 then I can go to the bios, but there is nothing in the bios that seems to be the cause,
    This is a SATA drive and I have tried to plug in to diff port, I had also removed the other PCI cards, tried changing the cable etc,
    My wife tells me that this happened when my little son just pulled out USB mouse during the bootup,
    I had tried reset the CMOS with removing battery, cannot update bios cause I can not even go past this message,
    Any help greatly appreciated,

Thanks,

Re: Computer Hangs at Detecting Storage devices...

Tried a different drive??

Comment

I do not have spare SATA drive, Thanks,

Comment

On your BIOS can you try to disable AHCI or change the SATA controller mode to Compatible (Depending on which bios you use).
        Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

On my PC's bios there is option which says sata controller and you can enable or disable it, but if I disable it will say no bootable drive found, there if no option for AHCI or sata controller compatible mode,

Thanks

Comment

Is the drive spinning up when you boot the machine???

If your system is hanging at the BIOS screen looking for a drive then wither the drive has failed and needs replaced or the controller has failed and the motherboard needs replaced.

To me without seeing the machine i'd recommend buying a new drive and replacing the old one.

Comment

Sorry for the late reply guys, I was able to fix this machine with the lot of challenges, but would like to share it as it may be helpful to someone else,

wullieb1, yes you are right the drive was bad, it was seagate baracudda 750Gb drive, and the machine was purchased last x,mas so it is just six months old PC, anyway replaced the drive and the the machine did boot up and did the POST,

While loading Vista on the machine it gave me another very weird message says Missing driver for CD/DVD drive, and it turn out to be a driver for SATA controller, I downloaded from HP website put it on the USB and during Vista install provided it and it started working,

Thanks all,

Yantra

Comment

Nice to see you got it working and thanks for posting back with your answer.

Comment

Working...
                X