Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Query about Service Level Agreements.

Hi Folks,

Most of the IT services in the organisation are going to be fully managed and/or delegated and there's going to be SLAs introduced.
    Now the service provider is offering amongst others these Service Levels:

Active Directory: 100%
    WAN connectivity : 90% (Which also includes redundant routes)

Now here is the part that makes me scratch my head.

They are offering just One DC on Site and they are adamant that this is a good Service Level.

Am I missing something here or is this flawed?
    If the only DC on site fails then AD traffic will solely depend on the WAN Connectivity, and I am wondering how are going to achieve 100% AD services if the WAN connectivity is optimally going to be available 90%.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
    Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Re: Query about Service Level Agreements.

Hi mate,

Thats certainly a head scratcher, just to clarify ...

Does the AD 100% mean that they'll ensure 100% uptime of your DC or does it mean that they'll respond to all AD faults and fix within 4 hours for example? Might be small printed somewhere.

My IS team work to an SLA which states that we'll respond to a critical AD issue and have it working again in 4 hours. If we respond and fix to the SLA brief then that may be considered as having met 100% of the SLA.

If that's not the case then they're going to struggle to meet that

Comment

Or do they mean AD will be available, somewhere, 100% of the time (but your site might be cut off)
      Tom Jones
      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
      IT Trainer / Consultant
      Ossian Ltd
      Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

@Mouse

Thanks mate, sorry I should've specified that a bit. The percentages stand for "Optimal Availability" to quote them. Is "Optimal" one of those key words in here without even needing any small print? Does that mean that even if there is 10% uptime they still adhere to the level agreement?

@Ossian

Cheers mate, I suppose so! Maybe indirectly it does mean that. That "Optimal" can be interpreted in so many ways. How do you read it?
        Caesar's cipher - 3

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

IMHO I would go over it closely and come up with some scenarios to get answers in plain English rather than Lawyer-ese
          e.g. what if a site DC goes down and the VPN is also down? How long will it take you to restore service?
          Tom Jones
          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd
          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Another couple of items to consider.

What are they charging for this "service" and what are their response times?
            What will it cost your company to be down/offline etc until they have you back up again?

"Optimal Availability", what a good get out of jail free phrase. I am "Optimally Availability" for any woman who knocks on my door. Brewers droop, old age and physical exhaustion may be (ok, probably are) factors involved, but I am still always "Optimally Availability".

Sounds like an SLA to steer well clear of.
            1 1 was a racehorse.
            2 2 was 1 2.
            1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
            2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Cheers Chris,

They are charging good money , and the response time is less than 4Hrs for "Communication of service affecting Outage" ???? Which, I read that as just communicating It within 4 Hrs not making it available again.

To answer your second question, appart from frustrated and moaning teachers and happy (Screaming-happy) kids not further damage I would have thought

It looks that we need to stay well away of this one and/or rewrite it.

Appart from that you'll have to hope your missus is not frequenting these forums "Optimally" and find out about your "Availability"
              Caesar's cipher - 3

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

Working...
              X