Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interoffice chat program

Hi,

Does anyone know of a good interoffice chat or messaging program that will only work with workstations within the office network on Windows xp. We need something that is unable to message outside the office network.

The reason for this is the company I work for has decided to put a ban on instant messaging software (MSN, GTalk, etc) due to employees using it for personal use too much. However we use it quite a bit for interoffice communications and I'm looking for a suitable replacement.

Thanks.

Re: Interoffice chat program

Have you considered Microsoft's Communication Server?

http://www.microsoft.com/communicati...b/default.aspx

Also, gives the potential for enhanced communication in the future as well.

Comment

What's wrong with using the internal phone system? Put it on hands free and you can even multitask while talking.
      1 1 was a racehorse.
      2 2 was 1 2.
      1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
      2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
        What's wrong with using the internal phone system? Put it on hands free and you can even multitask while talking.
        ....like this

Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

Thanks for the replies

Virtual: we have looked at office communicator briefly but we're a small company of about 30 employees and were hoping for something simplier and less expensive.

biggles77: We have two employees working long distance and not everyone has a phone.

We can use email but it not as speedy for certain collaborative tasks.

Comment

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...r&aq=f&oq=&aqi=

Comment

Have a look at Lotus Sametime. Used it quite extensively some years back when doing support for FORDS.

Comment

Not sure how instant it needs to be but SharePoint is worth considering. WSS3 is a free download.

Comment

How about turning on the messenger service Good ol Net Send.Naw i dont mean that really..

Comment

You may want to look into Ignite Realtime's offerings. OpenFire is the server component and Spark is the IM client.
                    Wesley David
                    LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
                    -------------------------------
                    Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
                    Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
                    Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
                    Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

Originally posted by Techie View Post
                      Hi,

Does anyone know of a good interoffice chat or messaging program that will only work with workstations within the office network on Windows xp. We need something that is unable to message outside the office network.

The reason for this is the company I work for has decided to put a ban on instant messaging software (MSN, GTalk, etc) due to employees using it for personal use too much. However we use it quite a bit for interoffice communications and I'm looking for a suitable replacement.

Thanks.
                      I had the same issue back on a former job. Users where used to have admin rights and use all sort of IM's software they could find on the internet. When I came, I started a work plan to lockdown the network, and to deal with IM's and users, I implemented IP telephony all over the company, users would still bug about how good and convenient was to use IM's software...

Back then, I was using exchange 2000, and fortunately, this version of exchange combined with "windows messenger" that came standard with WindowsXP, solved all my problems just installing the "instant messaging" module on exchange, enabled IM's from my exchange server, and I used ACL's on firewalls to block MSN messenger access.

I believe this is now a separate product from M$ now, you may want to check this out with your M$ sales people.

Comment

Working...
                      X