Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Software asset management tools (SAM)

Hello,

Looking for some advice since I find a lot of answers here. What do you guys suggest that will centrally track software assets/licenses within the network? Nothing that is web based please!

Thanks

Re: Software asset management tools (SAM)

Hi,

Does Steel Inventory do it for you?
    I've used the freeware version in the past and it's pretty good.
    Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

How many licenses are we talking about? What specific features do you want as far as tracking their usage? An excel spreadsheet can work just fine if properly kept up. One place I worked at had thousands of licenses and just used an Access 2003 database that the C# developer / DBA had customized with a few forms. It was okay... and certainly cheap. Or did you want automated asset discovery?

Of course, if you want something that the BPA or other software piracy associations will be happier with, you'll need something like SCCM 2007, Tivoli or any of the other major management tools that have asset tracking features.
      Wesley David
      LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
      -------------------------------
      Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
      Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
      Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
      Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

Thanks guys,

I'll check out Steel Inventory.

@nonapeptide we run about 100user environment
        We do have a central software database within Lotus...but its updated manually and takes up too much of my time to try to keep updated.

Comment

Working...
        X