Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GPO v Scripting Printers. Which one is more efficient?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GPO v Scripting Printers. Which one is more efficient?

Have a site that has about 16 printers. The tech wants to Deploy the Printers through a GPO. I want to eventually use a VB Script. At present it is using a Kix :vomit: script. The VB script takes less than 5 seconds to run and doesn't appear to impact on boot times.

Would using a GPO to deploy them have a performance impact on the boot process and can anyone suggest what positives or negatives the GPO would produce.

Thanks.
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Re: GPO v Scripting Printers. Which one is more efficient?

We deploy our printers with GPO's using PushPrinterConnections.exe . Previously were deployed via GPO using vbscript. Benefits of PushPrinters for us is that printers are deployed to computer not users so it does not matter who logs on the required printers appear. As we have a lot a roaming users this saves a lot of trouble. Also very easy to manage as you can just add all of a departments printers to a GPO, apply GPO to OU and filter by group membership (which required computers are a member off)
    In terms of boot up times etc havent really noticed a big difference either way. I cant even think of any negatives in doing things this way (at least in our environment)
    I beleive that your AD has to be at least Windows Server 2003 R2 though.

Comment

Re: GPO v Scripting Printers. Which one is more efficient?

I use VBscripts in here via GPO to map to shared printers and i don't see any performance issues. It depends what the script is like i suppose.
      I use them as logon scripts with loopback processing enabled so,when the users logon to a certain area they map to a certain printer.

Downside of using GPO i can think of:
      Not good for legacy machines, Pre-2000

On the plus side, it works like a treat.
      And you don't have to have R2, it works just fine without it as well.
      Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

Working...
      X