Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DNS Best Practices

Hi All,

What are the best practises for External DNS server? What are the issues of having an external dns server a member of a domain?

Regards

Re: DNS Best Practices

Who owns the External DNS server?
    Who will use it?

IMHO, unless you are a big company like Microsoft, let someone else be the nameserver for your external domain DNS, and manage your internal DNS through AD
    If you run your own nameserver, you have specific responsibilities to ensure resolution is available.
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

It also means you need to be well patched and be very secure since "owning" a DNS server can be mighty handy thing for spammers and other malicious Net users.

I would suggest using the DNS of your company's ISP or the DNS of the provider who holds your Domain Name Management Console (if you have one).
      1 1 was a racehorse.
      2 2 was 1 2.
      1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
      2 2 1 1 2

Comment

We host our own but I don't see a point unless you are a particularly large company. It should at least sit in a DMZ and it doesn't want to be a domain member, generally speaking it is not Microsoft DNS as well, at least in my experience.
        cheers
        Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Working...
        X