sharepoint 2007

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sharepoint 2007

I have several users that have left the comapny and I would like to locate them throughout sharepoint and remove them. Is there an easier way then going to each site?

Thanks

Re: sharepoint 2007

Are they active directory accounts?
    If so, I think removing them in AD should also remove them from Sharepoint?
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

They are active directory accounts. I do not want to delete them out of of active directory. I just want a simple way to remove them from the Sharepoint server.

Comment

Did you create AD groups to correspond with the Sharepoint groups/roles?

Comment

The groups that were created are groups within Sharepoint.

Comment

if things were set right then u should have a group which gives access to the sharepoint and you should just remove them from that group.

Comment

Each site has a seperate group created. I would need to goto every site and remove the users from there. I am thinking that there should be a master site where I can remove the users no matter what site or sub site that they are added to.

Comment

i'd just disable the user and move them to a gpo.

that's all ;
                donno why you bother do that .

Comment

Good reasons to follow MS best practice:
                  AGULP
                  Accounts go into Global Groups
                  GGs go into Universal Groups in Multi-domain environment
                  UGs (or GGs) go into DL groups
                  Permissions (in this case SharepointGroup membership) given to DL Groups

If it was set up that way, it is just a question of removing accounts from GGs or GGs from DLs (all in ADUC)
                  Tom Jones
                  MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                  PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                  IT Trainer / Consultant
                  Ossian Ltd
                  Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I agree with following best practices, but this was an inherited setup. But are you referring to AD groups or Sharepoint groups? Either way there should be an easy way to remove the accounts from a top level.

Comment

I was talking AD groups
                      Agree re SP, but this is typical MS

IMHO, take the time to re-set everything properly -- you will appreciate it later
                      Tom Jones
                      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                      IT Trainer / Consultant
                      Ossian Ltd
                      Scotland

Comment

Have you tried going to "Site Actions" on you top lovel site and then go to "Site Setting"? There you can select People and Groups and then "All People"

This will list all users who have access to the site. Select the users you would like to remove and then click on the "Actions" button to finally select "Delete Users from Site Collection"

Click OK on the final confirmation window and you have just removed the users from sharepoint while leaving them intact in AD.

Comment

I never use the SharePoint groups and always add AD groups for the required access. If you can't change from the top level site then inheritance must have been broken. You can re-instate inheritance using saqib1972 procedure below and then reinstating.

Not sure of your size of setup but I had a similar issue recently. I removed all current user accounts and ensured that the SharePoint groups had no users. I checked the user accounts assigned the Site Collection administrator rights and farm administrator rights.

AD groups were then created specifically for MOSS. They started with MOSS. This ensures that when adding the AD groups to SharePoint and searching, all of them appear in one go.

You may need to re-instate inheritance to allow the permissions to be reset from the top level site. As this is a security issue, I would recommend carrying this out. It's not worth the risk for the sake of looking for an easy option. There isn't one.

Comment

Working...
                          X