Does Google need to worry?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does Google need to worry?

There's been loads of noise recently about the new Search engine WolframAlpha [Not active until May btw]
    Does anyone thinks (or wishes) this will be a real threat to Google's domination?
    or another failed attempt to carve into it?
    Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Re: Does Google need to worry?

CUIL, what a failure!!!

As for the first one, Wolfram & Hart, it is now May in OZ and it still doesn't work.
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

The only "alternate" search engine that ever caught my attention was Clusty. However, Google always sucks me back in. The search results are second to none. Yahoo isn't bad though. Sometimes I use webcrawler and dogpile if I want to do a very thorough search. However, Windows Live search's image search is head and shoulders above anything else. It's amazing. I wish Google would get a clue about it. I am, however, always looking for the next Google killer since, until the mind worms gain complete control of my will, I do not like being complicit to the inevitable Googlezon empire.

Wolfram will be forgotten if anyone ever learns about it in the first place. Don't resist the assimilation. It only makes it hurt worse.
      Wesley David
      LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
      -------------------------------
      Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
      Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
      Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
      Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

I prefer Google because of the clean interface. When I want to search I don't want a bunch of news, weather alerts, stock tickers, etc. in my face.

As far as Windows Live image search, I think it only searches the Corbis database since it's owned by BG and has over 100 million images. Not only does BG own every computer in the world he also owns every image in the world.

You have been assimilated.

Comment

Never heard about Wolfram until yesterday and then I see this article in one of my e-mail newsletters: http://features.csmonitor.com/innova...e-next-google/

I got a giggle out of this line in the article: "Now, I know there’ve been a lot of articles touting Cuil, Blekko, or any of a host of other disgusting-sounding start-ups..." I also didn't make the connection that the name "Wolfram" is from Stephen Wolfram of Mathematica fame (of course, lots of other things make him famous, but since I'm a computer geek and not a physics geek I know him mostly from Mathematica). Here's a Wired article about him.

Very interesting backstory, but it seems like the kind of thing that makes for just that: a very interesting back story. As for making Wolfram the Google of 2019? Pfffftttt...

EDIT: Someone feel free to save that last line of mine and mock me with it in 2019 when North America becomes The Peoples Republic of Wolfram and we all get the brain implants with this logo on it.
          Last edited by Nonapeptide; 1st May 2009, 18:52.
          Wesley David
          LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
          -------------------------------
          Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
          Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
          Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
          Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

Originally posted by joeqwerty View Post
            I prefer Google because of the clean interface. When I want to search I don't want a bunch of news, weather alerts, stock tickers, etc. in my face.
            Agreed. I really don't like the Chrome download links that Google has added lately.

I was a devotee of Altavista when I first started using the internet regularly, it had a nice clean interface initially as well and was a much better search engine than Lycos, Yahoo etc at the time. When it became a portal in the late 90s I started using Google more and more, and since the Yahoo takeover I never use Altavista anymore. I used to use Babel Fish until Google started doing translations though.
            BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
            sigpic
            Cruachan's Blog

Comment

WoolframAlpha is finally gone live and based on what I've seen so far I think Google shouldn't need to worry.
              The mathematical calculations that are supossed to be behind Woolfies searches doesn't do it for me as well as the google's crawlers.
              Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

Tried a simple search and got no results
                Google: "am I bovvered?"
                Tom Jones
                MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                IT Trainer / Consultant
                Ossian Ltd
                Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
                X