Frequent Instances of USB Drive Corruption

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frequent Instances of USB Drive Corruption

I have XP Pro SP3 and use an external 4gb external drive plugged into a USB outlet.

I have this setup using Second Copy S/W to back up data every day.

This works most of the time but I frequently get an " unable to access this drive due to corruption " or similarly worded error messages.

I resolve this by using the CMD Prompt and selecting "x: chkdsk /f " which has always corrected the fault. ( x: is the USB Drive in question )

Can anyone suggest a reason why these messages should be re-occurring so frequently in this way .

The results from the chkdsk run don't produce any errors.

Re: Frequent Instances of USB Drive Corruption

What have you already tried to help you diagnose the problem?

Try using ntbackup (or some other backup product) instead of Second Copy for a few days, and see if that helps. Try using Second Copy (and other products) from other machines and see if that helps. In other words, you need to find out if the problem is the software, the computer or the removable drive.
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Re: Frequent Instances of USB Drive Corruption

Originally posted by gforceindustries View Post
      What have you already tried to help you diagnose the problem?

Nothing yet - since I can , so far , cure it with CHKDSK I had more or less decided to live with it

Try using ntbackup (or some other backup product) instead of Second Copy for a few days, and see if that helps. Try using Second Copy (and other products) from other machines and see if that helps. In other words, you need to find out if the problem is the software, the computer or the removable drive.
      Thanks for the reply - I'll have a go at your suggestion and report back any results .

Comment

Working...
      X