Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More Spam

If you visit http://www.sigord.co.uk/TEMP/Spam.mht
    You will see how the Orange computer accepts ANY mail so long as it bears the @gsweet.fsnet.co.uk part of my email address. So in theory I can have literally millions of email addresses !

Do other servers adopt this dangerous practice.?

Moderators do not worry about me quoting my address in this forum, thanks to Orange I already get bombarded with endless spam.

Thanks Gordon

Re: More Spam

This is not "dangerous" -- it is standard practice to allow multiple email addresses in a domain
    If it was not done, every domain (e.g. microsoft.com) would only allow a single email address -- clearly not good business practice.

Because you are a home user and not using a proper email server, you get all the junk to your domain -- businesses would filter for valid addresses in their domain

What email client are you using -- there may be filtering solutions you can apply.
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

This is design i'm afraid.

Its up to your email server to sort out which email goes to whom.

Comment

Thanks. I see there are some such as using @btinternet.com @yahoo.co.uk @msn.com @hotmail.co.uk and @hotmail.com, which presumably cannot suffer from my problem. I also presume @fsmail.com is not an Orange address, or I could ask for one of them and to close down my @gsweet.fsnet.co.uk address

I use Windows Live Mail and can also setup webmail filters on the Orange site. But I cannot setup a filter to block @gsweet.fsnet.co.uk as it will block ALL mail. Likewise neither appear to have the sense to be able to block ALL mail except the addresses I use. It looks like when my contract runs out I need to change server. I see Sky claim to be able to do this for us by squeezing the MAC code out of Orange etc for me.

Gordon

Comment

@fsmail.com is a legacy from Freeserve (which became Wannadoo, which became Orange)

If you do some research into "recipient filters" you may be able to block anything not coming to your own address. Alternatively you could look at putting a mail server (there are free ones) on your local PC to pick up all email and then use e.g. Outlook to connect to that rather than directly to the ISP

Dont assume any other ISP will treat incoming email any differently
          Tom Jones
          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd
          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
          X