Skype for iPhone

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Skype for iPhone

It looks like it's finally out to download for FREE! - http://share.skype.com/sites/en/2009..._its_here.html
    Another reason I suppose to make me go for an iPhone.

.....That was before i read the comments, haven't tried it myself.
    It seems to be crashing quite often. Well I thought that was just an MS thing
    Last edited by L4ndy; 1st April 2009, 09:58.
    Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Re: Skype for iPhone

I got it yesterday and used it to make a call to a friend. Worked well... but I couldn't simultaneously chat to him and talk to him. Not that that is a terribly important feature. My biggest gripe isn't so much with the app (I haven't used it much so I don't know if it will crash much for me) but with the iPhone's limitation of not having background processes. I'd rather have my IM client and Skype running in the background so anyone could call and IM me without me having to first launch a single app at a time. Methinks the 3.0 firmware might aid in that... but it still won't be to the level that Windows mobile or BlackBerry is.
    Last edited by Nonapeptide; 1st April 2009, 16:06.
    Wesley David
    LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
    -------------------------------
    Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
    Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
    Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
    Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

I'm sure they have to be thinking of adding the background process side of things in a new version, seems quite silly that people can't ring you if you are already doing something on the phone.
      cheers
      Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

I am also dissapointed O2 don't allow skype calls through 3G. Just have to use it through Wi-Fi for now.
        Is that the case for other network providers elsewhere?
        Caesar's cipher - 3

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

I don't think any telco would allow it over 3G as they lose money on calls. Maybe one day...
          cheers
          Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Works fine for me with 3... keep in mind though that it's down to the plan you're on, as well as the provider.
            Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Originally posted by AndyJG247 View Post
              seems quite silly that people can't ring you if you are already doing something on the phone.
              It's sxtremely silly that I can't get IM's unless the app is running AND the screen is on. As soon as the screen turns off... *poof*. Same with wireless networks. It disconnects from the wireless WPA-Enterprise network at work and then has to reconnect every time I use it. Supposedly version 3 of the firmware will add the ability for IM programs to have some kind of background presence but still the phone won't be able to multitask. Kinda reminscient of Mac system 5 before multifinder. This is progress?!
              Wesley David
              LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
              -------------------------------
              Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
              Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
              Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
              Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

Originally posted by gforceindustries View Post
                Works fine for me with 3... keep in mind though that it's down to the plan you're on, as well as the provider.
                I am surprised it does. Well I am on an unlimited data plan and the only provider in the UK I am aware of is O2.
                I've had a confirmation from their technical support that skype over 3G is not supported on O2 (Unless they were trying to fob me off).
                Caesar's cipher - 3

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

Working...
                X