Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recovery console automation

Hi guys,

I am trying to create a minimalistic liveCD which is supposed to do the following:
    1. boot up
    2. go into windows recovery console
    3. run fixboot, fixmbr
    4. exit/shutdown

this should be happening on headless windows machines, so no user interaction at all should be needed

I have dug up a very complicated way of creating a recovery console CD, but it is not scriptable, and still requires the user to enter the admin password for the NTFS volume being fixed

any ideas?

PS: tried the same using linux ntfs-progs, but though it does take me further, ntfs-progs seem to be messing something up in NTFS, so that next time the machine boot up, though it does boot OK, it runs chkdisk upon windows startup
    Real stupidity always beats Artificial Intelligence (c) Terry Pratchett

BA (BM), RHCE, MCSE, DCSE, Linux+, Network+

Re: Recovery console automation

Is there no way to put in a call function that pulls the Admin credentials from a text file. Not very secure but it isn't as though the disk will be left laying around.

I have a CD that has over 300MB of recovery and deployment tools but I am unable to read it with explorer. Admitedly haven't tried much else but the CD works, the contents are "sort of invisible" but the CD can be disk copied with Nero etc.
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Re: Recovery console automation

yeah well the NTFS is never encoded, and there is no reason for any security there whatsoever, just a bunch of XP machines that are being used for testing stuff, over RDP, no keyboard/mouse/monitor attached even

so what I need to be able to do is start the machine up with the liveCD inside, wait for a while and start it up again without the CD, after fixboot and fixmbr are done running

is there some other piece of software that does the same as fixboot and fixmbr maybe? I do need a correctly working version though, since the linux ntfs-progs are doing something wrong there.
      Real stupidity always beats Artificial Intelligence (c) Terry Pratchett

BA (BM), RHCE, MCSE, DCSE, Linux+, Network+

Comment

Working...
      X