Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Monitoring Software

hi

i'm looking for a software that help the network administrator to track or provide information about the websites that each user access, also what user consumes the most of the interner bandwidth

any suggestions

thank you

Re: Monitoring Software

How about ISA Server?
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

I use Spector 360 here to watch everything. Works great and I recommend it.

S.

Comment

What do you mean "a software"? Do you mean software on each of the client PCs or software at the gateway? Either way, I think you might have a hard time avoiding the purchase of a hardware appliance. I'm familiar with 8e6's filtering and statistics counting for web usage. It uses a piece of client software and it can even monitor, filter and track statistics for mobile computers that are offsite. Many other options exist, such as Baracuda networks' devices. Free open-source software exists such as IPCop. You could always port mirror the firewall's port to a snoop server that simply monitors the traffic stream. Lots of options, as you can see.
        Wesley David
        LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
        -------------------------------
        Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
        Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
        Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
        Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

thank you guys for your response

at this period i really want something cheap and it should be a software based only.

i have checked the names you have post and i think the most easy and simple one is spector 360 but the problem and the strange thing is that i don't know why they didn't provide any demo version so i can try it .

thank you guys again.

Comment

Originally posted by ahmed3d View Post
            at this period i really want something cheap and it should be a software based only.
            But do you want software on the clients or at the gateway? Software on the clients would mostly be for reporting on user's activites outside of the copmany network.
            Wesley David
            LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
            Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
            Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide

Comment

You may want to drop them an email just to double-check that they don't offer a demo version.

I can offer you some screenshots though...

And as you can see in that list of "Reporting Folders" you can see all the other items - including activities ON the company network - and that's just in the reports. You can also get screenshots of their desktops every so many seconds if you're really concerned about it.

Just my two cents and hopefully this'll help ya a bit...

S.
              Last edited by scauffiel; 19th March 2009, 15:04.

Comment

Originally posted by scauffiel View Post
                Hopefully this'll help ya a bit...
                Love the list of most frequented web sites. Time to edit the firewall ACLs...
                Wesley David
                LinkedIn | Careers 2.0

Comment

Originally posted by Nonapeptide View Post
                  Love the list of most frequented web sites. Time to edit the firewall ACLs...
                  LOL - For the most part I don't bug my users too much about it. As long as their supervisors are happy with the amount of work they're getting out of them, that's fine. However, sometimes I'll leave a report on their desk showing their activity if it's really ridiculous.

I've only had to do that twice in two years. The... uh, shown by the employees when they realized what I was able to see and record exactly what they were doing online brought them inline pretty easily.

S.

Comment

Looks quite interesting though pricy.
                    25 users for "only" $2,995.00

I'm actually interested if it can parse ISA logging either from a SQL database or text files.
                    Or is it a proxy server on it's own?
                    Marcel
                    Technical Consultant
                    Netherlands
                    http://www.phetios.com
                    http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
                    "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
                    "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Clark Connet http://www.clarkconnect.com/ has some of the features you want (and does petty reports as well). Not particulally familiar with it (but changing that) however I have seen it setup and running and have been very impressed. Have a read about what features it does have.

It is also about $2,995.00 cheaper than the previously mentioned app.
                      1 1 was a racehorse.
                      2 2 was 1 2.
                      1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                      2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
                      X