Logmein to stolen computer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Logmein to stolen computer

Hi, I use Logmein on 4 computers and find it works fine. WELL IT DID - until one of the laptops was stolen. The thief has (I think) changed the user name and/or password. I can connect and see when the laptop is being used and I even get the ip address when it is being used, but because the username/password is changed I am unable to access it. I have informed the police (who don't have a clue about it) and are extremely slow. It is only a matter of time until the Logmein programme is discovered on the laptop - and then I will lose all contact with it.
    Question - any ideas how to remotely access the laptop (running Vista OS), when I have the current (live) ip address?
    Thanks.

Re: Remote Login Question

I am assuming the IP address you get is a Public one? Record them all and give it to the police.

Have you tried using the username that logmein sometimes creates if it isn't a domain computer? Not sure of the exact name but if you go to one of the existing computers with logmein and then look at the local User Accounts, it may be there.

This is something to keep in mind with logmein. It creates a local admistrator user.

Comment

Yes I have recorded them and sent them to the Police, but I think they're too busy giving tickets to motorists. The addresses are public and belong to Orange as the ISP. (Orange told me that, yes, they have the name address and telephone number - but it's the Police who have to contact them).
      You are correct about Logmein creating its own username, but it "appears" to have been removed along with my username.
      But I am interested to hear more about the local administrator user.
      Just a thought - as I have the live ip address each time he (or she) goes on the internet, is there anyway I could access my laptop using the ip address through a DOS command or similar?

Oh! and thank you for your quick reply! It's not nice being stuck inbetween a rock and a hard place.
      Last edited by ut mishteret; 14th March 2009, 18:40.

Comment

Split to new thread
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Re: Logmein to stolen computer

Nothing special about the user accounts. If you look at the local user accounts created, it appears there. If installing on a computer that isn't joined to the domain, logmein will request you to input a password. This process creates the local administrator user account and of course has that password.

I would seek advice on whether you should be trying to remotely access the laptop. If the police do find a lull with speeding motorists, as you mention below, it may be detected and may effect a conviction.

Comment

Don't forget that the person using the computer now may not be the thief (if the laptop was stolen - if it was lost, then maybe the person who found it just did not turn it in to the Police)... It might be someone who was happy to buy a used laptop from someone else with half the price ...

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
            -

Comment

Hi Sorin,
              No - it was definately stolen - I still have the bill for replacing the smashed window in my car. I did tell the Police that the person using it may not have been the actual perpetrator. (Their reply was "oh yea, that's true hmmm")
              But thank you for your input.
              I can connect to the laptop I just need to be able to access it .......grrrrrrrrrrr. Anybody with any other suggestions for actually getting access?

Comment

Tell the cops you think it may be being used for Terry Wrist activities. That will get them moving.

Maybe tell Orange that you are taking legal action against them for aiding a person who is using stolen equipment and they know when the thief is. Got a friendly lawyer who will make you up a nice threatening letter.

I would also keep LogMeIn access minimal as the user has a greater chance of twigging to the fact thet someone knows where they are.

Try the insurance company and tell them that Orange has the name and address of the thief/user of your stolen laptop. Let the Insurance compamy lawyers weild the big stick.
                1 1 was a racehorse.
                2 2 was 1 2.
                1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by ut mishteret View Post
                  Hi Sorin,
                  No - it was definately stolen - I still have the bill for replacing the smashed window in my car. I did tell the Police that the person using it may not have been the actual perpetrator. (Their reply was "oh yea, that's true hmmm")
                  But thank you for your input.
                  I can connect to the laptop I just need to be able to access it .......grrrrrrrrrrr. Anybody with any other suggestions for actually getting access?
                  Or stolen and sold on. How do you knpw the thief still has it?

As advised below, let the relevant people know and then don't worry about it.

Comment

Working...
                  X