Poor Broadband Connection

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Poor Broadband Connection

Increasingly over this year I am being often disconnected for a few minutes especially when the speed drops from a paltry 1.8 Mbps to as low as around 600 Kbps. I like others locally do suffer at times from audible noise on the line which BT seem incapable of curing. But the disconnections do not necessarily occur at such times.

Is there any way I can determine if the poor broadband service is the fault of the phone lines or the server Orange? If the latter I would no doubt be legally entitled to cancel the remaining part of my contract without delay.

Re: Poor Broadband Connection

Over here the ISP is responsible for the connection either if it's the phone line or not.
    They have to contact the phone company if it has something to with the physical lines.
    Marcel
    Technical Consultant
    Netherlands
    http://www.phetios.com
    http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
    "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
    "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Is this related to your previous thread http://forums.petri.com/showthread.php?t=31379
      If so, I will merge them

In general, though, the broadband performance is a BT issue as they own the infrastructure and the ISP has to use their exchanges, wires etc

HAve you tried a different router. I had poor (and decreasing) performance and eventually retired the (Draytek) router I was using and replaced it with a Netgear, then found a 3x speed increase
      Tom Jones
      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
      IT Trainer / Consultant
      Ossian Ltd
      Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by GordonSweet View Post
        Increasingly over this year I am being often disconnected for a few minutes especially when the speed drops from a paltry 1.8 Mbps to as low as around 600 Kbps. I like others locally do suffer at times from audible noise on the line which BT seem incapable of curing. But the disconnections do not necessarily occur at such times.

Is there any way I can determine if the poor broadband service is the fault of the phone lines or the server Orange? If the latter I would no doubt be legally entitled to cancel the remaining part of my contract without delay.
        If I was you, I would get a different service provider. I have had similar issue with my parent's ADSL connection trough them.

With Orange, they will check your line for you should you state that the broadband is down.

I spent a couple of hours on the phone with them trying to get a replacment wireless router, where I stated I had brought my own from home and it was working and their roter wasn't.

I got my parents to change provider as they started to get me to go through every single wireless channel to test it.

BT do ADSL. That way there is only 1 person to blame. Do you have NTL (Virgin) in your area? It is a cable fiber-optic connection and mine has never gone down.

Comment

To begin I gotta admit I am still using the original Speedtouch USB connected modem supplied by Wanadoo before being taken over by Orange, because I only have this one Desktop PC and I still do not trust Wireless unless needed for several PCs.

The other problem is I am still trapped in the remaining period of a one off 18 month special contract with Orange. So Unless I can provide some legal evidence that my erratic connection is the fault of Orange to pass onto a Trading Standards Office as I know others have done, I doubt I could terminate my contract.

Comment

Search for the Orange complaints Forum. Found it once but could not get it back again. They should be able to help.
            1 1 was a racehorse.
            2 2 was 1 2.
            1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
            2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Thanks everyone

Gordon

Comment

If I remember correctly, you have been on here before with the same. You will need to rule out ADSL filters, extensions, use the line with another AP/router etc., test the Voice side of it. Furthermore, test with alternative computer systems and make sure you conclusively find out if it is internet or email service problem...this just for starters.

Have you contacted Ofcom?

http://www.ofcom.org.uk/

Comment

Thanks again for your advice guys.

But it seems to me this in this age of ever increasing reliance on Broadband for the net, it is very important to be able to determine if poor connection problems are the fault of BT phone lines or the server or whoever. This is especially if you wish to embark on legal proceedings such as obtaining the help of Trading Standards to persuading a server to release you from the remaining period of a contract due to poor service.

Likewise there seems little point in complaining to Ofcom, if there is no way of proving the problem is with a server. This applies to thousands of UK broadband users. I suppose I could send an email to Ofcom asking how to tell a problem is caused by a server, but you are techno boffins here.

Gordon

Comment

I wasn't thinking of you complaining to Ofcom, more to seek advice.

http://www.ofcom.org.uk/media/features/adrscheme

If you carry out the tests below, you can rule out any faults on your premises and then start to get the line and local exchange looked at.

Comment

Working...
                    X