Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SQL Server upgrade failure (SQL Server 2005 Express Edition to SQL Server 2005)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SQL Server upgrade failure (SQL Server 2005 Express Edition to SQL Server 2005)

Hi there

Have encountered problems trying to upgrade SQL Server 2005 Express Edition to SQL Server 2005 Standard Edition.

(Reason for upgrade is SQL Server 2005 Express Edition extremely limits the reporting functionality of the System Center Essentials 2007 install).

So, ran setup.exe SKUUPGRADE-1

All initial tests complete with Success.

Then when I get to which elements I want to upgrade, I only get the following options:

>Client Components
    >>Connectivity Components
    >>Management Tools
    >>Business Intelligence Development Tools
    >>Software Development Kit
    >>SQLXML Client Features
    >>Legacy Components
    >Documentation, samples and Sample Databases

I'm no SQL expert, but I was expecting options of Databases, Reporting Services, stuff like that.

I know that it is supposed to be possible to upgrade along that path.

Can anyone point out where I'm going wrong?

I'm assuming the fact that SCE 2007 is installed has nothing to do with it.

Advice most welcome.

Thanks in advance

Taw Jackson

Re: SQL Server upgrade failure (SQL Server 2005 Express Edition to SQL Server 2005)

have you seen this one?
    It explains quite detailed how to perform the upgrade.
    http://www.toddklindt.com/blog/Lists...ost.aspx?ID=55
    Marcel
    Technical Consultant
    Netherlands
    http://www.phetios.com
    http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
    "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
    "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Re: SQL Server upgrade failure (SQL Server 2005 Express Edition to SQL Server 2005)

Thanks for that, pal.

Alas, it only demonstrates what should happen when upgrading.

Unfortunately, it doesn't work out like that for me, as per my original post.

Strange though that when I run the upgrade, it doesn't pick up that there is a SQL Server express edition install.

Thanks anyway

Taw

Comment

Does the upgrade just upgrade existing functionality, then if you run setup again you get the option to add NEW features?
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Hi there Ossian

I tired, as a test, to add some of the in the available options, just to see what would happen.

After I select some (Connectivity Components, Management Tools, Business Intelligence Development) when I click next I get a message that says 'None of the selected features can be installed or upgraded. Setup cannot proceed since no effective change is being made to the machine...'

Which is, to me, odd, since I am running the upgrade off of SQL Server 2005 Standard Edition.

These things are sent to test us, I guess.

Thanks

Taw

Comment

Hi

Please close this call.

SQL newbie error.

I was running the setup.exe file from the tools folder instead of the servers folder.

Doh!

Comment

Working...
            X