Remote Login Question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remote Login Question

Hey guys I got a question on remote logins program. I am asked here at my job to setup some user to be able to login to the office from there homes. What program do you guys recommend. I have heard of logmein but I have heard it is extremely slow. Let me know what you think.
    Thanks

Re: Remote Login Question

Do you mean have him remote desktop into his PC at the office? If so just add an exception in your firewall for port 3389 and point it to the IP of his PC at the office.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon032 View Post
      Hey guys I got a question on remote logins program. I am asked here at my job to setup some user to be able to login to the office from there homes. What program do you guys recommend. I have heard of logmein but I have heard it is extremely slow. Let me know what you think.
      Thanks
      I don't find it particularly slow. It of course depends on the internet speed and with me having said I don't find it slow, it does occassionally. I use it for most of my remote work to some of the sites I look after and I can comfortabally get mj job done with it.

Comment

For most of our clients we set them up with standard Windows VPNs. PPTP in most cases or L2TP with certificates if they require extra security. A couple who use SBS use the Remote Web Workplace.

We never open port 3389 on the firewall as a security measure.
        BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
        sigpic
        Cruachan's Blog

Comment

you could always change the RDP port on the workstation itself. To each their own

Comment

Logmein has this solution.

https://secure.logmein.com/products/hamachi/vpn.asp

Effectively, it is a VPN you can setup and then you can RDP to the relevant server. You don't need to enable any special ports. I believe it runs over port 443, the SSL one.

Comment

Originally posted by derk View Post
              you could always change the RDP port on the workstation itself. To each their own
              We never allow any RDP ports to be open on the external firewall. If anyone runs a port scanner and finds an open port the likely first thing they'll try is RDP, so we close down anything that would present a login prompt and only allow VPN in.

May be a little excessive, but why take the chance?
              BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
              sigpic
              Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Working...
              X