Cookies

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cookies

I developed a program which identifies the normally hidden directory holding Cookies, and quickly deletes them all except those you may need to keep, such as recommended by PayPal. This is freely available from my site or

http://www.download.com/CookieClear/...dlPid=11006474

But I am mystified as to why my simple program deletes the Cookies much faster than using the option in MS Internet Explorer Tools. Could it possibly because MS have arranged to find some way of notifying the owner of these wretched cookies, that they are being deleted from a PC I wonder?

Gordon

Re: Cookies

Originally posted by GordonSweet View Post
    But I am mystified as to why my simple program deletes the Cookies much faster than using the option in MS Internet Explorer Tools. Could it possibly because MS have arranged to find some way of notifying the owner of these wretched cookies, that they are being deleted from a PC I wonder?
    I personally doubt that such as thing is taking place, because it would be relatively easy to discover and I'm sure someone would have done it by now. Only wireshark or a mirrored port will tell for sure though...

P.S. You're mystified about why a Microsoft product takes a long time to do something that another product can do in a flash? C'mon! It's Microsoft!
    Wesley David
    LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
    -------------------------------
    Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
    Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
    Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
    Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

Mmmmmmmm- Cookies!!!!!

Sorry folks, couldn't let this one go
      Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

Originally posted by L4ndy View Post
        Sorry folks, couldn't let this one go
        That's a doughnut.... THIS is a cookie...

P.S. Is this also bandwidth stealing?
        Wesley David
        LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
        -------------------------------
        Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
        Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
        Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
        Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

Originally posted by Nonapeptide View Post
          That's a doughnut.... THIS is a cookie...
          I didn't have you down as a Cookie connoisseur Nonapeptide

@GordonSweet

Maybe it takes longer because the Delete button in Internet options, deletes all the other files in the Temporary internet files folder where the cookies are saved.
          Maybe your program targets only Cookies and leaves the other files intact?
          You could probably tell us more about it.

Cheers
          Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

Thanks for the interest guys. If you care to try out my program hosted by Download.com of Cnet you will find even if you use the IE option to only remove Cookies, my program deletes them much quicker. I can assure you all, my Freeware program is perfectly safe to run, othereiwise I am sure Cnet would never dare to host it. They take a week or two to vet and test submissions.

While on this subject I could easily create a similar program to delete ALL Temporary Internet Files, and based on my Cookies program it too will also probably remove the files far quicker than Windows. What I would like to know is would it be safe to remove all such Temporary files, or can someone suggest any files created by Windows best not to remove?

Gordon

Comment

Working...
            X