thanks

Re: helpdesk tools

Originally posted by krayzie View Post
    hey guys

i was wondering what AD tools your help desk uses

thanks
    Hi,

Check this : ServiceDesk Plus

Summary : ServiceDesk Plus is a web-based helpdesk software that helps you manage all your communications from a single point. It offers an integrated Request management (Trouble Ticketing), Asset management, Purchase order management, Contract Management, Self-Service Portal, and Knowledge Base. ServiceDesk Plus packs all the modules at an affordable price.

HTH,
    Tarek
    Tarek Majdalani
    MS Forefront Edge Security MVP

Comment

sorry i ment tool like to password reset etc...

we currently use a product called 'infra' for call tracking, asset management, PO's etc

Comment

Errrr....

Active Directory Users and Computers
        Account Lockout Tool

for the most part... why would they need to buy third party tools???

Tom
        For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

Microsoft server CDs come with the admin packs that will install the tools on your helpdesk user's PCs, if you don't want to manually add these using 'MMC'.

With admin packs, you just need to make sureyou delete the shortcuts not relevant to the helpdesk user's job role.

I tend to use the MMC tool and role that out via a GPO to the relevant users and further restrict access to the tool via NTFS permissions.

Comment

yeah i thought admin pak, but i wasnt sure if that was an elegant solution,

Comment

I've used that for allowing appropriate users to reset passwords. You set the permissions in AD so there isn't a great risk. I lock the tool down further with NTFS permissions, so only the relevant users can even run it, even if they are not permitted to do so in AD.

You can roll it out via a GPO as well. I have worked in an environment with 2000 users that had admin assistants for each department, that would reset paswords. By using GPOs, it allowed me to set group permisisions and apply GPOs to relevant OUs. When users leave, or new staff need access etc, I only need to add them to the relevant security group and everything else is automated. The same applies to taking the permission away, so you maintain control.

I believe there is a way of doing a Task Pad view for non-adminstrators that would make it easier. Never used that before though but know it can be done.
              Last edited by Virtual; 13th February 2009, 15:01.

Comment

If you are specifically looking for password reset tools, you could also consider self-service offerings such as this http://www.specopssoft.com/products/...elf%20service/

There is naturally an increased risk of misuse (so make sure you use a product that takes precautions against this) but on the other hand it reduces the workload for the helpdesk.
                Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Gforce's post reminds me. It is important to ensure that the people resetting passwords ask for ID. I worked in an environment where support staff was resetting passwords but just asking for the username but was taking student's word for it. That policy was swiftly dealt with.

Comment

I use the employee's credit card number, cardholder name, expiry date, security digits and PIN code as proof of ID.

Gareth Howells

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

You forgot home address and wife/gf's vital statistics
                      Tom Jones
                      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                      IT Trainer / Consultant
                      Ossian Ltd
                      Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I must change my policy

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
                          You forgot home address and wife/gf's vital statistics
                          Ah yes, cardholder address is useful too. Not all sites ask for it though. But then, it would be useful to know that for when I call up the bank and crank their credit limit up so high the user would get nosebleeds just thinking about it.
                          Gareth Howells

Comment

Brings me memories of FoneJacker.

Comment

Originally posted by krayzie View Post
                              sorry i ment tool like to password reset etc...

we currently use a product called 'infra' for call tracking, asset management, PO's etc

No Problem, even better from the same website , ADManager Plus

Enjoy it
                              Tarek Majdalani
                              MS Forefront Edge Security MVP

Comment

Working...
                              X