Your Experience with These Antivirus Apps

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your Experience with These Antivirus Apps

We're using AVG 7.5 now and aren't all that happy with it. Specifically, we've seen it seriously slow down our machines (almost all with 512MB of RAM) and the server side interface is clunky.

We're looking to replace AVG and are considering Sophos, Norman, F-Prot and ESET.

What can you tell me about your experience with their products'. Specifically, I'd like to know about performance, administration, and support.

Thanks.

Re: Your Experience with These Antivirus Apps

Originally posted by mhashemi View Post
    We're using AVG 7.5 now and aren't all that happy with it. Specifically, we've seen it seriously slow down our machines (almost all with 512MB of RAM) and the server side interface is clunky.

We're looking to replace AVG and are considering Sophos, Norman, F-Prot and ESET.

What can you tell me about your experience with their products'. Specifically, I'd like to know about performance, administration, and support.

Thanks.

i use the symantec endpoint client at work, which is good at picking up all kinds of nasty stuff and it's pretty lightweight. however, i don't install the network/firewall protection feature since it causes certain applications not to work correctly.

i've used sophos at school and at previous companies, which i would recommend as well. it's light and does the job. i'm currently using it on one of my laptops and haven't run into any issues with it after 2 months. i tried eset, but didn't care for it. i'm sure it's fine, but didn't care to use it. i just wasn't impressed with it.

i haven't used the other apps you've mentioned except for AVG which i stopped using months ago because i noticed it was slowing my systems down, too.

Comment

We mostly use Sophos, pretty happy with it and PureMessage email security is also pretty good if you require Exchange protection.

Symantec's corporate products are pretty effective but have very clunky interfaces I find. One of our customers uses Eset NOD32 and has had no end of bother with it.
      BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
      sigpic
      Cruachan's Blog

Comment

What kind of memory usage do you guys see by the client-side app (when idle and scanning)?

Comment

I used to use Symantec products until they brought out endpoint. I had so many problems that I used an alternative product. I now use Mcafee for emails and files etc. However, it can hog memory a little more than other products but is very effective and Orchestrator allows you to centrally manage and update. Furthermore, Mcafee's Gold Support is superb and based in the UK.

Comment

Sophos, is my suggestion. Their support is superb and the products don't hog the machines like AVG does (even .
            Best wishes,
            PaulH.
            MCP:Server 2003; MCITP:Server 2008; MCTS: SBS2008

Comment

I find McAfee can slow down machines when updating but aside from that it is good. Trend runs well and we use the ScanMail and I use Avast at home currently. I have used AVG, Kaspersky, Symantec and Sophos as well.
              Sophos I found the management good for SME but the AV pickup was poor, Symantec was ok although endpoint caused loads of issues and I did find pickup fairly poor. Kaspersky was better than average and generally I found AVG quite light on memory although I didn't use it a lot. McAfee is still my favourite though, even though I'm not quite so fond of EPO4. Trend is gaining ground on me too.
              cheers
              Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Hi,

I used to use Symantec Corporate Edition v8 then 9 and lately 10.

But symantec is hungry for memory !! and i switched to Nod32. Its light on the machine's memory and does the job.

HTH,
                Tarek
                Tarek Majdalani
                MS Forefront Edge Security MVP

Comment

Originally posted by Tarek
                  But symantec is hungry for memory !!
                  That qualifies as a British understatement.
                  1 1 was a racehorse.
                  2 2 was 1 2.
                  1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                  2 2 1 1 2

Comment

I found Symantec corp 9 and 10 to be quite good. I recently started rolling out 11 and I'm quite disappointed.

It has failed to detect and clear up viruses on a number of occasions and in some cases the virus has actually managed to disable the client service!

Installing the management server on 9 and 10 used to be breeze but now 11 includes an IIS management console that is full of issues on a non standard setup.

Once installed and running it does have some nice reporting tools and control policies though!

This was installing the MR2 version so hopefully the issues are cleared with MR4.

Comment

We're trying out SEP in our lab at the moment and I'm having a heck of a time getting it to deploy to our VM XP machine. I can see the machine, but can't run any commands against it because it says the client has connected to the server yet.

If I go to the client, in the SEP program folder, I see two files (one .exe and one log) and and empty folder. The .exe doesn't do anything when run.

Not a good start. We're also looking at something called Big Fix. Has anyone used that?

Comment

Working...
                      X