Sharepoint Backup Solutions?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sharepoint Backup Solutions?

i dont know if this will fit cause my question is about sharepoint....

What is a good software to backup and archive sharepoint server and services?

any suggestions would be grand.

Thank you to all who reply.

Re: Sharepoint

Symantec BackupExec has a Sharepoint agent for backing up Sharepoint.

Comment

Re: Sharepoint

Moved to Misc forum
      Tom Jones
      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
      IT Trainer / Consultant
      Ossian Ltd
      Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Re: Sharepoint Backup Solutions?

Not very efficient, but create a Virtual Server with SharePoint and then just backup the VHD. Restoring is then really simple however this doesn't cover the archive portion of your question.
        1 1 was a racehorse.
        2 2 was 1 2.
        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Adding to the valid suggestions offered and depending on your version:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/833797

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../cc288019.aspx

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../cc262412.aspx

and some resources inc some whitepapers in the links:

http://blogs.msdn.com/sharepoint/arc...ces-redux.aspx

Cheers
          Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

We use the native backup solution within Sharepoint's Central admin. The Sharepoint 2007 install is backed up by Sharepoint's automatic scheduling. It backs up required databases, IIS and so on. We then do a file levl backup of the 12 hive - in case any customisations have been made there or files added - Sharepoint doesn't back this up as assumes they can be recovered by reinstalling Sharepoint.

Sharepoint 2003 can be scheduled to backup through using the Schedule Tasks and using 'stsadm' tool.

As L4ndy mentions, it depends on your version.
            Last edited by Virtual; 4th February 2009, 14:40.

Comment

mlabs, are you using SharePoint Portal Server or SharePoint Services? Forgot to ask that in the first post.
              1 1 was a racehorse.
              2 2 was 1 2.
              1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
              2 2 1 1 2

Comment

I hate Sharepoint but that is probably more due to the fact it tends to drag us IT techs into company process!

I like Biggles77 suggestion of using a VM to host sharepoint. This way you grab content, config, IIS and SQL in one clean hit.
                Last edited by Rednet; 5th February 2009, 03:28.

Comment

If I could rebuild my Sharepoint setup I would VM the front-end IIS servers, those I would backup at the vmdk level. For the databases I would use BE with the SQL agent.

Currently I'm using BE Sharepoint agent. Never tried a restore so don't know how well it works.

Comment

thanks to all ..
                    share point portal and services will be in use.

Sharept is more for a workflow and document management in our envi..

How much space should i allocate. W

We do use Vm ware. i really dont want to load my back end in vmware. BUT...
                    i can see teh front ends in vmware no prob...

Any suggestions with SQL.. SHould i share other sql apps with shpt such as great plains BES and MOM or insight manager?

Comment

Assuming it is Sharepoint 2007, it would be best to use the native backup feature that can also be scheduled, that is in Central Administration. It will backup SQL databases at the same time. Also, make sure you back up the 12 hive, in case any customisations and additions have been made.

You should be ok using SQL for other systems as well. I've had SMS, Sharepoint and Invu system run on the same box without issues. Just make sure that the server can cope with the workload etc. It also depends on your setup, whether being 2 or 3 tier. Web Front End, maybe one tier for a specific application role and the database (SQL) Server. Just apply the same rule of thumb you would with computers.

With regards to how much space you should allocate, it's impossible to advise. You will need to research the type and size of documents being saved on average by current users and maybe work out what an average user saves over a certain period of time. However, it will depend on your retention policies, how often the documents are to be retrieved and the quotas set.

This may also help.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../bb961988.aspx

There is a formula for working out space required but I can't remember it off the top of my head. I know that you have to take in to account a bit of overhead for files saved. e.g. 1GB data, may mean 1.2GB of space taken up in SQL, space taken up on the index and then of course, it needs to be backed up.
                      Last edited by Virtual; 6th February 2009, 01:48.

Comment

Working...
                      X