X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• booting problem

Hi,
    my computer wont turn on occasionally.
    I disconnected each device i have and tried another disk,but it doesnt reach even the bios screen.
    Is the problem in my mother board?
    Thanks,
    Bendi

Have you tried reinstalling the OS and using the latest drivers when reinstalling?
    Server 2000 MCP
    Development: ASP, ASP.Net, PHP, VB, VB.Net, MySQL, MSSQL - Check out my blog http://tonyyeb.blogspot.com

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Re: booting problem

Originally posted by bendi
      Hi,
      my computer wont turn on occasionally.
      I disconnected each device i have and tried another disk,but it doesnt reach even the bios screen.
      Is the problem in my mother board?
      Thanks,
      Bendi
      or RAM or CPU or Video Card or Power Supply.

Does the Power LED on the case light up when the system doesn't boot?

Download and run Memtest http://www.memtest86.com/ As this may eliminate one option. Depending on your case, a new power supply may be an option. They are very cheap. You might also purchase a UPS. This would eliminate any possible problem that may occur with occasionally power fluctuations that effect the Power Supply. If the video card is and addon device (ie not onboard) remove and reseat it. See if you can borrow a friends for a while and see if your start problem disappear.
      1 1 was a racehorse.
      2 2 was 1 2.
      1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
      2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Hi guys well here is the update
        I started receiving bios beeps 1 long three short so i played with the memory cards (took out and inserted).
        It was ok for a while but the beeps returned.
        I unplugged the pc from the electricity and it did it for a while.
        Now each time it happens i unplug.....
        I enclosed the print screen of the boot process it has a weird remark regarding the memory.
        Thanks,
        Bendi
        Attached Files

Comment

The memory remark is not an error just a suggested settings change.

The main problem I can see is you are missing the Primary Master, this should be your boot partition.

And why are you still running a PII 400 ??? That must run like a dog with no legs.

topper.
          * Shamelessly mentioning "Don't forget to add reputation!"

Comment

1.He is an old friend (the pentium 2)....
            2.what can i do about the missing primary master (it boots any way!)?
            Thanks,
            Bendi

Comment

Originally posted by topper
              The main problem I can see is you are missing the Primary Master, this should be your boot partition.
              Some BIOS's don't show the primary master if it was detected when the BIOS was configured. It will only show the channels which are set to 'Auto'.

Plus just to be pedantic don't you mean the primary master should show your drive (not partition) which is on the primary master channel. And it doesn't have to be your boot drive. Most BIOS's will check each drive in trun (starting with the primary master) for a bootable drive when 'Hard drive' is selected in the boot sequence.

Bendi: The best thing to do is to have only your hard drive in, one stick of memory, no extra cards, CD ROM's, DVD's etc... Then get it to boot ok, then in turn replace each item. See how it goes. You will eventually find the piece of hardware (if it is hardware) causing your problem.
              Server 2000 MCP
              Development: ASP, ASP.Net, PHP, VB, VB.Net, MySQL, MSSQL - Check out my blog http://tonyyeb.blogspot.com

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

1 long three short BIOS beeps indicates your video memory may be faulty. If you are still getting that beep error, change your video card.
                1 1 was a racehorse.
                2 2 was 1 2.
                1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77
                  1 long three short BIOS beeps indicates your video memory may be faulty. If you are still getting that beep error, change your video card.
                  I was going to suggest the same thing, that's what my IBM Manual told me the beep code indicated...

"this suggest a problem with your video card (generally the memory is faulty of not detected properly), change your video card and/or memory and re-test".

B.

Comment

Working...
                  X