Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

No display after PSU / Mobo replacement (Was: puzzled)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No display after PSU / Mobo replacement (Was: puzzled)

Hi, I just replaced my power supply and motherboard and cpu. I power up the computer and I hear the cpu fan come on. My monitor registers its name and then goes black and into standby mode. I am puzzled to what is wrong here, I tried putting a disc in the CD drive and can not hear it start to run. Any coments or hints would be appreciated!

Thanks alot

Re: puzzled

Does your new motherboard have onboard graphics? If so the likelihood is that the driver is wrong for the display adapter.

Try booting into safe mode (Hold down F8 just as the system finishes POST when you would normally see the windows splash screen) and see if you get video. If you do simply un-install the old graphics driver, reboot into normal Windows and install the new one.

Good chance if it is Windows you'll have to re-activate or reinstall due to Windows Genuine Advantage.
    BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
    sigpic
    Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Cruachan's suggestion is the best advice we can give based on the information provided. What is the last thing you see on the screen before it goes into standby? Please describe it as fully as you can.

In future please also pick a more descriptive title for your threads as per the forum rules - "puzzled" doesn't tell people anything about your problem.

Originally posted by Forum Rule 3
      Give your post a good topic (or subject line), reflecting the question's intentions
      Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Re: puzzled black monitor screen

Thank you for the replies and I am sorry about the forum title><
        To be a little more specific: We had a serious power surge, my husbands computer went off (yes even through the surge protector). When I tried to restart it, I got no power at all, so I assumed the power supply was blown. I replaced the power supply and turned on the pc, I got a warning beep, after establishing this beep was for the motherboard, I also replaced it and the cpu, it is a 939 socket motherboard and an athlon 64 processor.
        Today I hooked it all up and powered up the pc, It seemed to turn on fine, but the monitor came on showing the "gateway" emblem then went to a 3color rectangular box about 1x3 inches, imediately after that the screen goes black and the "on" button of the monitor changes from blue (the color when the monitor is on) to yellow (the color when the monitor is in idle mode).
        I tried to boot up from my windows xp disc and get nothing, I do not even here the cd start to run.
        I am totally drawing a blank, I had the video card tested today and it is running fine, (this is the place my monitor plugs in) . I am about to try the suggestion above, but would appreciate any other info.

Thank you for your time,
        Cindy

Comment

just tried using F8 and still get nothing >< I see now that the box that comes up on the monitor actually says "no signal" I am plugged into the same area I have always plugged into on my graphics card

Comment

Is it an internal graphics card (on the motherboard) or a plug in one?
            If the latter, have you connected power to it? (most graphics cards now need a separate power line)

Since you do not see the BIOS, it is likely the graphics card / Mobo are f***ed (technical terminology here ) -- so since you have replaced the CPU/Mobo the graphics card is the remaining culprit. But I see from post #4 the Graphics card is definitely good.....

Title changed
            Tom Jones
            MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Re: No display after PSU / Mobo replacement (Was: puzzled)

If the motherboard has an onboard graphics try plugging into that and see if you get any video. Some motherboards/BIOSs have to be explicitly told to use a graphics card rather than using onboard.

If you do get video from that go into the BIOS (Del by default on most systems) and see if you can find an option for use add-in graphics card or something similar.
              BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
              sigpic
              Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Thank you all for the answers! After doing everything suggested and then some, it turned out to be very simple. My graphics card wasnt seated properly.
                I guess I just also needed to walk away and not let frustration get to me!
                Thanks again tons

Comment

Ah, the old engineers solution:
                  "If at first you don't succeed, try a bigger hammer"

Well Done!
                  Tom Jones
                  MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                  PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                  IT Trainer / Consultant
                  Ossian Ltd
                  Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
                    Ah, the old engineers solution:
                    "If at first you don't succeed, try a bigger hammer"
                    Funny you should say that... I'm performing some maintenance on the PABX at the moment
                    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

It is not the size of the hammer that counts, it's where and how hard you hit!
                      If the information you receive helps please let us know and leave reputation points where appropriate.

The good news about computers is that they do what you tell them to do. The bad news is that they do what you tell them to do. - Ted Nelson

Comment

Working...
                      X