VMware DB Access from OS level

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VMware DB Access from OS level

Can we access oracle DB which is installed in VMware (Ubuntu) from the main operating system (Vista Home Basic)
    If possible could anyone explain the steps to carry out

Thax in advance

Re: VMware DB Access from OS level

Detail required http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=555375

Which VMware product - there are several. Which sort of networking is setup for the guest? What happens when you try to access it, do you get an error?
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Hi gforceindustries,

VMWare Server 1.0.4

All installed in same machine. No network set up ha been done so far.
      I just want to know whether this possible. If so what should be the procedure.

Comment

With VMware Server, the guest OS appears as just another system on the network. There's nothing special that you need to do, just follow standard procedure to access Oracle.
        Gareth Howells

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

I concur with gforceindustries. The way I read the question, this has nothing to do with virtualization providing the necessary networking is in place.
          VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
          boche.net - VMware Virtualization Evangelist
          My advice has no warranties. Follow at your own risk.

Comment

Thread moved as has no relation to VMware

Comment

Originally posted by gforceindustries View Post
              With VMware Server, the guest OS appears as just another system on the network. There's nothing special that you need to do, just follow standard procedure to access Oracle.

Hi gforceindustries,

Is it necessary to assign IP address to the guest OS. Because since I'm working in a personal environment IP addresses are not in the scene.

Comment

Any TCP/IP based network, whether personal or otherwise, uses IP addresses. Do you have a broadband router? Your physical PC gets assigned an IP address by it, the guest OS will have one too. Without an IP address, it can't communicate with anything on the network.
                Gareth Howells

Comment

In my situation there is no network at all (No routers, Only stand alone laptop with guest OS on VMWare).

Anyway I understood the situation. Thax a lot for ur time.

Have a nice day.................

Comment

There is a network, just a very small one - between your host OS and the guest OS. If there's no DHCP server, then yes you will have to manually assign IP addresses.
                    Gareth Howells

Comment

I guess there is no DHCP server comes with Vista home basic

Comment

No. You'll need to assign static addresses.

Keep in mind though, if you run into problems, that Vista Home Basic is not a supported host platform for VMware Server.
                        Gareth Howells

Comment

Ok gforceindustries. Thax once again

Comment

Working...
                          X