No announcement yet.

Upgrade or Custom install?

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgrade or Custom install?

I do not know whether to upgrade or to perform the advanced full install on a customized XP home edition machine. The machine says on its specs that it is Vista capable and it is a three year old Tosh. laptop with 2gb ram (upgraded from 512mb). I am not sure what the processor is as I was only speaking with the woman on the phone about it?
    ....for death is the destiny of every man; the living should take this to heart.

Re: Upgrade or Custom install?

Personally I always install from scratch, I never upgrade. Upgrading means you retain the clutter from the previous installation. You should already have a backup of your data, and you'll either have the install media for software or be able to download the installer again, so really there is nothing to be lost by upgrading. Just make sure the hardware spec is suitable and that you have the correct drivers.
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Re: Upgrade or Custom install?

For your processor, boot into XP, right click My Computer and select Properties
      Alternatively, when you boot the PC, the processor speed should be displayed before Windows starts

I concur with Gareth on a fresh install, but make sure you have downloaded the correct hardware drivers FIRST.

Finally, if you are not confident working with the innards of the Windows OS, as your earlier posts seem to indicate, it may be worth handing the whole problem, plus a suitable amount of cash, to your local computer shop and getting it done for you.
      Tom Jones
      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
      IT Trainer / Consultant
      Ossian Ltd

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **