Overall increase in RAM and hard drive size

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overall increase in RAM and hard drive size

Is the overall increase in partition (hard drives) sizes, along with the increase in over the counter PC's having up to and over 4gb RAM simply just a way of getting more money off people or is there a genuine demand for PC's with larger and larger specifications.... Sales pitch or customer thirst.
    Last edited by Ossian; 8th January 2009, 18:29. Reason: Removed formatting
    ....for death is the destiny of every man; the living should take this to heart.

Re: Overall increase in RAM and hard drive size

Excessive formatting removed

I doubt you will find more than 4GB RAM on an off the shelf PC (32Bit limit) but IMHO Vista makes good use of as much RAM as possible without the additional load of applications, so 4GB is not unreasonable

Storage space is cheap and (again IMHO) always gets filled up as people build up their music / movie / picture collections.
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

It's probably a combination. Vendors will always over sell the consumer, but at the same time because pc components are, for the most part, commodity items does it really matter if you get a 250GB hard drive when you only need 100GB if the drive is only $100.00?

Comment

Things are so cheap now (memory and storage) compared to what they were. I went to get a USB HDD a couple of weeks ago thinking I needed about 250gb or so, maybe a bit more. I ended up getting a 1tb drive as it was 80 compared to 55 or so for the 20gb one I wanted.
        BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
        sigpic
        Cruachan's Blog

Comment

In the UK 350-400 is roughly the average price for a consumer PC these days. Rather than reducing prices to reflect the price drop in component parts they upgrade them, hence 12 months ago a PC would have had 2Gb RAM today it has 4Gb.
          If the information you receive helps please let us know and leave reputation points where appropriate.

The good news about computers is that they do what you tell them to do. The bad news is that they do what you tell them to do. - Ted Nelson

Comment

I was reading some mail from a vendor, and they are advertising desktop PC's with 6gb+ and massive 800gb+ hard drives running Windows Vista Ultimate and I think they had quad core processors. These desktop's are 64bit and they are being sold, with all of the accessories for dirt cheap prices. I really do wonder if these "super PC's" which is what they are, "as they are faster than a Cray super computer that was selling for 20,000,000 dollars under 20 years ago." are built to last ? ? ? [/SIZE][/FONT][/B]
            Are they just thrown together like everything else is ?[/SIZE][/FONT][/B]
            Will they out last predessors built five years ago ?[/SIZE][/FONT][/B]
            Who knows ? ? ? [/SIZE][/FONT][/B]
            Last edited by Ossian; 9th January 2009, 15:08. Reason: PLEASE use the normal font!
            ....for death is the destiny of every man; the living should take this to heart.

Comment

I think you already received many warnings for the excessive formatting.
              Stop using it or we need to actioned it.

But I'm not that impressed actually, quad core, 6GB memory, only 800GB of diskspace.
              Personally I'm saving for a Mac Pro, dual Quad core (so 8 cores) probably 32 GB of memory and up to 4 1TB hard drives. Bit pricy though but i keep dreaming
              Marcel
              Technical Consultant
              Netherlands
              http://www.phetios.com
              http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
              "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
              "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Originally posted by Dumber View Post
                I think you already received many warnings for the excessive formatting.
                Stop using it or we need to actioned it.

But I'm not that impressed actually, quad core, 6GB memory, only 800GB of diskspace.
                Personally I'm saving for a Mac Pro, dual Quad core (so 8 cores) probably 32 GB of memory and up to 4 1TB hard drives. Bit pricy though but i keep dreaming
                If you could please tell me what "exessive formatting" is I assure you that I will not do it again. I am maybe ignorant of the term but if you tell me what I have been warned against in simple terms I will not do it.

Comment

"Excessive formatting" refers to cases when you use too many font format options in one post. Like using large fonts, in bold and another (than default) font face.
                  Many of your posts are just like that. It is difficult to read and when it gets quoted in other posts, it makes the thread even worse.
                  The different font format options are to be used to emphasize specific components of the post... Like directories tree, options tree or a series of mouse clicks.
                  Hope this was the answer you looked for.

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
                  -

Comment

Originally posted by sorinso View Post

"Excessive formatting" refers to cases when you use too many font format options in one post. Like using large fonts, in bold and another (than default) font face.
                    Many of your posts are just like that. It is difficult to read and when it gets quoted in other posts, it makes the thread even worse.
                    The different font format options are to be used to emphasize specific components of the post... Like directories tree, options tree or a series of mouse clicks.
                    Hope this was the answer you looked for.
                    Thank you sorinso. I will avoid doing this again.

Comment

Well this is the first time I see you asking what Excessive formatting is.
                      It's no problem when you don't know what something is.. I rather would like to see that you are asking it, then ignoring us
                      Anyhow, Hopefully the answer provided by Sorinso is quite clear, if not please ask
                      Marcel
                      Technical Consultant
                      Netherlands
                      http://www.phetios.com
                      http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
                      "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
                      "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Working...
                      X