Reading Hard drives with MS-DOS

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reading Hard drives with MS-DOS

If you create an emergency Start up Floppy using say Win XP with My Computer / Format the resulting MS-DOS Floppy will not read a large hard drive such as 160 Gig. Is there any way you can add a file to the floppy for it to read large Hard Drives.

Thanks Gordon

Re: Reading Hard drives with MS-DOS

What filesystem? Presumably this is to recover a system after a problem? If that's the case I'd recommend using the Recovery Console.
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Thanls I assume you mean use Windows Backup Recovery, but what if the problem is a faulty drive and Windows cannot be activated and I want to investigate the files on teh hard drive?

Comment

If you have another machine you can add the drive into that temporarily.
        cheers
        Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

I think what gforce meant was booting off the OS CD into recovery mode, which gives you a pseudo-DOS shell for troubleshooting why the system won't start.

There are plenty of utilities for reading NTFS partitions from a DOS/FAT32 environment though if that is what the issue is.
          BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
          sigpic
          Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Originally posted by GordonSweet
            I assume you mean use Windows Backup Recovery
            No, I mean the Recovery Console.

Originally posted by cruachan
            I think what gforce meant was booting off the OS CD into recovery mode, which gives you a pseudo-DOS shell for troubleshooting why the system won't start.
            Pretty much what he said. Keep in mind that when booting from the CD there is also the option to repair, which is automated, rather than using the Recovery Console, which is not.
            Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Thanks folks. Someone wanted me to create the MS-DOS startup floppy but I had to warn him it would not even access the Hard Drive.

Gordon

Comment

Working...
              X