Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2003 To XBox Streaming?

Hi,

I have just got an XBox 360 (Arcade) so that I can play games, watch DVD's and watch streamed videos off my 2003/SP2 server.

The usual way to streaming videos to the XBox 360 is via Windows Media Player 11 (so I'm told) but there isn't a version of that for 2003 ... I understand I can also use Zune (which I've never used) and VLC (which I use a lot but only as a player).

I also, to be brutally honest, don't fully understand what streaming is ... I know that media is streamed from one system to another but does the client get to choose what to watch? IOW if I have 10 videos on my streaming server, can my client play any of those videos at will or only what the server is streaming at that time?

Kyu
    J C Rocks (An Aspiring Author's Journey)
    The Abyssal Void War: Stars, Hide Your Fires

Re: 2003 To XBox Streaming?

Streaming can either be 'push' or 'pull'. If you know that in this instance the client can choose what to watch, then it instructs the server what to stream - this is 'pull' streaming. 'Push' streaming is where the server decides what to stream, and clients can decide whether or not to listen.

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=vlc+stream+xbox+360
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Try this software (free):
      http://www.tversity.com

Once you set it up, you'll be able to see a folder on your XBox 360 that shows all of the shared media on your server. Select a file, and it plays on your TV. It "streams" the files over, but doesn't save them on your Xbox 360.
      ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Wired View Post
        Try this software (free):
        http://www.tversity.com

Once you set it up, you'll be able to see a folder on your XBox 360 that shows all of the shared media on your server. Select a file, and it plays on your TV. It "streams" the files over, but doesn't save them on your Xbox 360.
        That looks excellent ... I'll try that

I assume my XBox (which is the basic no hd version) is OK as purchased.

Thanks (to Gareth also)

Kyu

Comment

Not sure how well streaming would work w/o a local HDD to buffer the incoming video. It could buffer in the memory I guess, but that's not a lot of buffer. Then again, maybe it doesn't use the HDD to buffer at all.
          ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Good point. For 100 you can get yourself the 120GB drive... hideously expensive considering it's just a 2.5" SATA drive in there.
            Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

I use tversity and it runs fine.

You can try one of the media servers from RedKawa.

Comment

Thanks to everyone for their comments but especially to Wired as that is the solution I have adopted and it works very well

I bought a cheap second hand 20Gb drive from a colleague which should do for now ... I do have a 120Gb 2.5" SATA at home (an IBM/Hitachi Travelstar HTS541612J9SA00) which I might be able to upgrade but I've heard that the process can be a bit fussy.

Kyu

Comment

Working...
                X