Want to speed up computer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Want to speed up computer

Hello, as a new member who just joined with a similar problem, I have a Dell Optiplex GX270 that suddenly started demanding an administrator's password, perhaps after the installation of automatic Windows updates, when I started it up the next morning. I had bought the computer 10 months ago used from ebay, so had no idea of what the administrator's password was, and downloaded ophcrack and MSDaRT50Eval.msi on another computer and burned them to CD to try to get around the problem, unsuccessfully.
    I then called a computer technician who suggested unbolting the hard drive and installing it into another computer to remove all the files that I had on it, and then reinstalling Windows XP Home to replace the XP professional that I had had on it. All was good since the computer was returned yesterday, except that now its speed must be in the 250MHz range, dragging from window to window on this site, and taking 4 minutes to load an avatar, which I eventually gave up on.

Can you please offer any suggestions to get the computer back to the blazing speed that it arrived with?

Thank you very much for any kind and useful suggestions!

Kim Gyr, Director of Green Millennium for the construction of a 100% sustainable infrastructure! Whose low-budget success depends on working collaboratively with similar souls!

Re: Don't even know my XP PRO PC's usernames

Kim, your problem is not similar. The OP is asking about retrieving a password, you are asking about speeding up your computer. Please read the forum rules - they are clearly posted at the top of every forum.

Originally posted by Rule 14
    No Thread Hijacking

Post flagged.
    Last edited by gforceindustries; 3rd January 2009, 03:50.
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Re: Want to speed up computer

Ok then, now that we're in the right place perhaps you could give us more information?

First off, what have you already tried?

Presumably, your machine is now running a fresh installation of XP Home? Is it up to date with SP3 and recent patches?

What antivirus and antimalware products are running? Are they up to date, and have they highlighted any problems?

What other software do you have installed, particularly anything running in the background?

Do the event logs show any problems?

What hardware are you running on? Are the correct drivers installed?

As it's a fresh install, you might as well reinstall XP Home again - maybe something got corrupted during the install process.
      Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Working...
      X