McAfee install program won't run

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• McAfee install program won't run

I have a Dell OptiPlexGX110 and I'm using Windows 2000 Professional. I heard about Comcast giving its customers a free version of its anti-virus software, so I decided to uninstall AVG and I downloaded the McAfee file from Comcast's website. The file is called DMSetup-Serial. It won't open. When I click on it the hourglass icon appears for a second and then nothing happens.

Re: McAfee install program won't run

Sounds like a corrupt download.
    Is the download licensed for the use your have chosen?
    Marcel
    Technical Consultant
    Netherlands
    http://www.phetios.com
    http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
    "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
    "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Agreed, it's most likely corrupt or incomplete. Try downloading the file again. Also check the size of the downloaded file and compare it to the size it should be. Failing that, sounds like something you should be taking up with Comcast...
      Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

More and more install programs don't like download managers such as GetRight. Switch them off and try downloading again.

Tom
        For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

Originally posted by gforceindustries View Post
          Agreed, it's most likely corrupt or incomplete. Try downloading the file again. Also check the size of the downloaded file and compare it to the size it should be. Failing that, sounds like something you should be taking up with Comcast...
          It's 1.16 MB. It doesn't say on Comcast's website how big it should be.

Originally posted by Stonelaughter View Post
          More and more install programs don't like download managers such as GetRight. Switch them off and try downloading again.
          How do I switch them off?

Comment

Do you use a download manager? We'd need to know which one if you want us to provide any guidance with it...
            Gareth Howells

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Originally posted by gforceindustries View Post
              Do you use a download manager? We'd need to know which one if you want us to provide any guidance with it...
              Hmmm...I guess I don't. I seem to recall downloading one several years ago but I must have deleted it. The regular grey file download box appears when I try to download something.

Comment

Did downloading the file again fix the problem? If not, you need to take this up with Comcast, as they are responsible for providing support for the products they offer.
                Gareth Howells

Comment

Well, I called Comcast today. They said I have two problems. The first is that I need to uninstall Spybot and Adaware before I can install McAfee. I knew that I had to uninstall AVG, but I didn't realize that I had to uninstall anti-spyware as well.

The second problem is that I only have 129,260 KB of RAM. Apparently, I need 250,000 MB of RAM in order to install the McAfee Security Suite. So, is there a free anti-virus program that I can install with only 129,260 KB of RAM? I used to have AVG, but it wouldn't let me download the updates anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Master Moron View Post
                    Well, I called Comcast today. They said I have two problems. The first is that I need to uninstall Spybot and Adaware before I can install McAfee. I knew that I had to uninstall AVG, but I didn't realize that I had to uninstall anti-spyware as well.
                    I'm a bit suspicious of those claims by Comcast, but oh well. I think the bigger problem would be the RAM. Possibly the installer is set to check how much RAM is on the system and then not install if it's less than the required amount. Of course, a polite dialog box informing you of the situation might have been better.

Apparently, I need 250,000 MB of RAM in order to install the McAfee Security Suite. (Emphasis Mine)

That's some seriously intense system requirements, but not surprising for McAfee. By contrast, Small Business Server 2008 only needs 200,000 MB of RAM to run.

So, is there a free anti-virus program that I can install with only 129,260 KB of RAM? I used to have AVG, but it wouldn't let me download the updates anymore.
                    AVG free needs 256MB of RAM. There's also AntiVir and ClamAV for Windows. I couldn't find any system requirements for them though. Of course, the definition files and all around protection level for the free products isn't quite what a paid product would be. Can you spring for some extra RAM for the old machine? Either that or drop Ubuntu on it...

EDIT: Added some emphasis to the quote
                    Last edited by Nonapeptide; 21st January 2009, 22:55.
                    Wesley David
                    LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
                    -------------------------------
                    Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
                    Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
                    Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
                    Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

Personally I wouldn't install any software offered to me by my ISP. They can handle my data flow but they're not touching my computer. My recommendation would be to chuck the free AV and reinstall AVG or get the free edition of Avast.

Comment

Originally posted by joeqwerty View Post
                        Personally I wouldn't install any software offered to me by my ISP. They can handle my data flow
                        My ISP can't even do that.
                        Wesley David
                        LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
                        -------------------------------
                        Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
                        Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
                        Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
                        Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

But 1.16 MB for the filesize.
                          McAfee 4.7i is already about 60MB.

Sounds a bit ridiculous small for the download.
                          Marcel
                          Technical Consultant
                          Netherlands
                          http://www.phetios.com
                          http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
                          "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
                          "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Working...
                          X