Changing Screensaver Content

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changing Screensaver Content

We are wanting to find a method or product that will allow us to deploy a screensaver in which we can change the content on an as needed basis.

For instance, today we would have 3 slides that would have cafeteria menu, an announcement from the CEO, and flyer for a seminar.

Tomorrow, we could change the cafeteria menu, add another flyer for a different seminar, and remove the annoucement from the CEO.

Basically, we are wanting a way to use screensavers across the board as a way to advertise various things throughout the organization without any interaction from the end user and very little interaction from the IT staff.

Has anyone ever done this or know a method in which we could try this?

We have a 2K3 AD and all computers are joined to this AD scheme. If you need other information let me know.
    Last edited by boondock; 31st December 2008, 14:50.
    MCITP:SA, MCSA 2003, MCP, CCNA, A+, Net+, Security+

Re: Changing Screensaver Content

This is the method I use to achieve exactly the same:
    1) the custom-built screen saver is saved in a network share, to which all users have READ ONLY permissions. Whenever the screen saver is updated, it is always saved with the same filename;
    2) there is a GPO that is applied on the users we need them to get that screen saver (only the public computers), in which the screen saver name is set to that filename in that network share.
    The setting you need is in User Configuration\Administrative Templates\Control Panel\Display\Screen Saver executable name .
    It works like a charm for me

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    -

Comment

Great. That sounds like a good idea.

I looked in GPolicy, but I was unsure if I would be able to specify a screensaver on a network share.

I will give this a try.

What program do you use to create the custom screensaver?

Comment

Originally posted by boondock View Post
        What program do you use to create the custom screensaver?
        XatShow, the free version.

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
        -

Comment

The screensaver can be on a network share (imo, preferable), if not then you will need to copy it to each computer.

Thanks for the tip Sorin
          Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Worked like a charm. The only problem I found with this was having to change the screensaver. You cannot overwrite the screensaver in use. You have to create a new filename, then change your GP to the new filename. Not a big deal though.

Sorin...you made me look like a hero today. I owe you one.

Last edited by boondock; 31st December 2008, 22:08.

Comment

I am glad you solved the problem!
              This time it is me helping you, next time... Who knows ?
              Great way to start 2009

Sorin Solomon

-

Comment

Working...
              X