Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am Filtered ...!!

Hi All,

I happen to live in a country where lots of useful sites have been filtered with no apparent reasons. But, I have heard that it is possible to bypass the filters by setting a PROXY. However, I tired setting up a proxy by doing the following procedure:

1- Internet Options
    2- Connections
    3- Lan Settings
    4- I then entered the IP address of my ISP and used Port 8000

But unfortunately doing the above has not solved my problem. I now believe that there must be something else involved in order to bypass filtered sites. Does anyone happen to know what I should do?

Regards,

Sam

What do you mean by filtered ? and who is doing the filtering ?

Your ISP will not have a web proxy setup for you to use, you will have to try a free 3rd party proxy on the web like http://www.proxify.com

topper
    * Shamelessly mentioning "Don't forget to add reputation!"

Comment

Hi topper,

By the law of the land of where I live lots of internet sites have been filtered by my ISP - however as I said before it is possible to use an IP address of my ISP to use a proxy in order to bypass all the filtered sites, only if I knew how ..?

By the way I cannot get to the site you gave me because it is filtered by my ISP.

Regards,

Sam

Comment

If your ISP blocks access to the sites then they surely won't give you access to a proxy to bypass their own filters to get to the sites they are banning in the first place !!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Move to a different ISP, you are paying for the connection and you should have the right to surf whatever sites you want to !!!

Comment

Well, I managed to get the IP address from the Help Desk guys and where I live this practise is very common.

All the other ISP's have the same enforcement put on them so it won't be any use to move to a different ISP.

Comment

Well if you typed the IP address and Port number in correct then there is no reason why what you did in your first post should have failed.

Do you have a firewall setup on your PC ?

topper

Comment

Yes, I have a firewall but I don't think that is causing the problem as I still get the the prohibition message displayed when trying to access the blocked sites.

By the way, I have noticed on the LAN Settings Window, it says "these settings will not apply to Dial up or VNP connections" - and I am using a dial up connection - I wonder what this is exactly referring to?

Sam

Comment

Originally posted by topper
                If your ISP blocks access to the sites then they surely won't give you access to a proxy to bypass their own filters to get to the sites they are banning in the first place !!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Move to a different ISP, you are paying for the connection and you should have the right to surf whatever sites you want to !!!
                Sorry to digress a bit, but Sam is in Iran, Topper. This explains all the ISPs having filters.
                1 1 was a racehorse.
                2 2 was 1 2.
                1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                2 2 1 1 2

Comment

It's not just the ISP filtering these sites, the sites get filtered even before the ISP gets to access them, it's filtered at the first point of contact (in Australia, this would be the Southern Corss cable, or the Western Cable, where 90% of Australia's online data is accessed through).

To Overcome this, you need to use a Proxy server from another country, such as Proxify from the US (if it's not already blocked) or make friends with someone that can set up a proxy-server in another country for you to use.

This was common practice in places like Russia, Iran, Iraq, etc where the Government is still trying to use propaganda to fool it's people into believing their country is the best, and their government is the best, and trying to block the people from information which could prove otherwise.

To the Original Poster, try Proxify, otherwise get someone in another friendly place to set you up a proxy.

B.

Comment

Working...
                  X