Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some website issues

Hello Everyone!

I am new to this website and am looking for some help / advice because i have a similar problem.

My situation is that i am a member of a social website which has a voting game where if you win you get an award badge displayed on your profile *cool*

The game starts on the first day of every month and ends at the last day of every calendar month at 23:59 hours.

Every profile/account is allowed to vote once a day per profile (you can't vote twice in one day for the same person from the same account / username.)

The votes range from a scale of "1" to "10" ("1" being the lowest possible vote and "10" being the highest possible vote.)

There is a Top 10 list where you rely on your Average Voting Score to stay in Top 10 to pickup more votes from the main voting pannel which has 100's of pics in it, The Top 10 is updated every 15 minutes accordingly from Average Voting Scores from all enterents.

Example: an Average Voting Score of 9.9 would make you Number 1 in Top 10 list, an Average Voting Score of 9.55 would make you about number 4 or 5, if my Voting Score is 9.6 and i am on the number 3 spot, if someone gives me 3 or 4 down-votes of "1" then my Average Voting Score would drop to say 9.3 .

My problem is that there is one user who has multiple profiles (i know all of their usernames) and this person keeps on visiting my profile daily and down-voting me using about 12 different fake profiles to cheat me and make sure that i never manage to win any award (Top 10 Award or Number 1 Award)

I have complained to the website support team and manager so many times but they can't do anything about this other then tell me to block him....which is a waste of time because the block only stops this person from sending me a message and not from viewing my profile where he gains access to vote my down from the profile voting link (java script)

Is there any HTML script i can use the block a profile by username or account ID?? - I don't want to block this person's ISP because i don't know it! - I also don't want to block any of my friends, just the profiles that visit my profile and vote me down on purpose.

Any help or ideas would really be appreciated - THANKS!
    Last edited by Joseph..D; 30th December 2008, 21:25.

Re: Yahoo Messenger, possible to block based on Username?

Welcome to the site Joseph. A few thoughts for you:

First off, this is not a similar problem. The original post is about Yahoo Messenger - please read the forum rules which are made clearly visible at the top of each forum. Please don't hijack threads. This post has been flagged for a moderator's attention.

Secondly, there may well be a "script" or some other mechanism, but it would need to be tailored to fit the website in question.

Thirdly, if the website managers have told you to block the user(s) in question, then that would be the strategy to take. If that doesn't help, then make it clear to them why not. Trying to modify the workings of their website without their permission is most likely against their terms of usage.

Finally, it's not really playing fair to prevent people from being able to vote against you, is it
    Last edited by gforceindustries; 30th December 2008, 21:24.
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Moved away from the Yahoo topic.
      I don't know what your problem is so I named it quite general.
      Marcel
      Technical Consultant
      Netherlands
      http://www.phetios.com
      http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
      "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
      "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Originally posted by gforceindustries View Post
        Welcome to the site Joseph. A few thoughts for you:

First off, this is not a similar problem. The original post is about Yahoo Messenger - please read the forum rules which are made clearly visible at the top of each forum. Please don't hijack threads. This post has been flagged for a moderator's attention.

Secondly, there may well be a "script" or some other mechanism, but it would need to be tailored to fit the website in question.

Thirdly, if the website managers have told you to block the user(s) in question, then that would be the strategy to take. If that doesn't help, then make it clear to them why not. Trying to modify the workings of their website without their permission is most likely against their terms of usage.

Finally, it's not really playing fair to prevent people from being able to vote against you, is it
        Okey, Sorry if i posted in the wrong thread, i am new here and do not know how to start my own thread

I have already got promission from the website in question to do this but i do not know the scripts i need to use and there is no proper info on google

This is only justice as i am being 'down-voted' delibrately and singled out because this person is very hateful and jealous - i don't want to block every profile that down-votes me (genuinely) - Just this one person only.

Comment

Re: Some website issues

As I said, the script would need to be written specifically for that website. Does the developers make documentation on the site's API available? Is it even designed to be extended by users? If not, then you won't be able to do this. At the end of the day, it is up to the site managers to monitor the usage of their site and take action if necessary.
          Gareth Howells

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Without knowing a lot more about the site (web server, types of scripts etc) there is no real advice we can give. A link might be a good idea then someone may have a look (remembering everyone here volunteers their time)

But, for what it is worth, it is just a bit of fun, why get so worried. Remember the old saying "sticks and stones....."
            Tom Jones
            MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

But....it is possible to put in some sort of deny script without making things too compliacated?

Maybe a script that can be updated with list of denyed usernames so when those accounts click on my profile it tells them "Access Denied" full stop ??

Comment

Once again...

Whatever sort of script you want to use.

Whatever you want that script to do.

It would have to be created specifically to work with that website.

There is nothing generic that will do this.
                Gareth Howells

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
                  Without knowing a lot more about the site (web server, types of scripts etc) there is no real advice we can give. A link might be a good idea then someone may have a look (remembering everyone here volunteers their time)

But, for what it is worth, it is just a bit of fun, why get so worried. Remember the old saying "sticks and stones....."
                  I know and you're quite right...but i feel so helpless and it is the principle - why do they do it?? - this is not right.

Comment

Ok guys....Thanks for your help and support anyway - nice to meet you all

Now i will have to figure out how to post my own Threads on this site without upsetting anyone!

Kind Regards, Joseph.

Comment

Probably for the same reason that people create viruses -- the feeling of power (unfortunately not tempered with responsibility).
                      IMHO, life is too short to lose sleep over such things

Following up on topic. Post a link to the site and we may be able to help you. Without knowing that, its a bit like:
                      "My car won't start..... It could be petrol or diesel (or maybe electric) and I won't tell you when it last worked, or what has been done to it already.... Actually, maybe it was towed and I never noticed, but because it isn't there, I can't start it"

EDIT -- missed your last post.
                      There is a handy "New Topic" button in each forum that may help

Oops, and missed gi's post while I was posting....
                      Tom Jones
                      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                      IT Trainer / Consultant
                      Ossian Ltd
                      Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

There is a "New Topic" button in every forum.
                        Gareth Howells

Comment

Thanks Mate.

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post

Probably for the same reason that people create viruses -- the feeling of power (unfortunately not tempered with responsibility).
                            IMHO, life is too short to lose sleep over such things

Following up on topic. Post a link to the site and we may be able to help you. Without knowing that, its a bit like:
                            "My car won't start..... It could be petrol or diesel (or maybe electric) and I won't tell you when it last worked, or what has been done to it already.... Actually, maybe it was towed and I never noticed, but because it isn't there, I can't start it"

EDIT -- missed your last post.
                            There is a handy "New Topic" button in each forum that may help

Oops, and missed gi's post while I was posting....
                            Please don't take offence but the website in question is http://gaydar.co.uk/

Comment

Article 6.1.11 of the website terms of usage reads as follows:

Originally posted by TOS
                              6.1.11 have more than one Member Account at any time.
                              Therefore, if you have reported the user in question to the website managers, identifying that you believe they have multiple user accounts, then it is up to them to do something about it. Conveniently for them, their terms also let them decide whether or not to actually take action.

Keep in mind that even if you can see the IP address that somebody is using to access the site, you can't be sure that all of the accounts are held by the same person.
                              Gareth Howells

Comment

Working...
                              X