Poor Broadband connections

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Poor Broadband connections

I was onto the UK BT faults operators again this morning just before 12 noon as the usual noise racket at that time on the phone line started. This time the fault operator could actually hear it, though his daft testing system showed no fault. I told him we here suspect it was due to the increased Broadband traffic at such times. But of course he denied that had anything to do with it, as he has probably been told to say no doubt. I pointed out I hold copies of three emails from others here in Hastings with similar complaints as a result of me posting about it in a local arts forum. Anyway he is sending along some poor BT engineer tomorrow, but I bet when he gets here it will be a waste of time as it will all go quiet again.

Am I and others here in Hastings UK right in suspecting as these whistling noises only happens at times when we know Broadband traffic if extra busy, such a mid day and say 6 pm. This often also results in a drop in Broadband connection speed and even disconnection?

Gordon

Re: Poor Broadband connections

Im assuming your using an ADSL connection considering your getting line noise I am also assuming that you have your phone connected on the same line.

I have seen this issue before, a few fixes,

buy a QUALITY line filter (if you run ADSL2+ make sure it supports ADSL2, despite what people think they are different from standard ones)

try using a central line filter, if you have other equipment hooked into your phone line such as a back to base alarm or fax this is a MUST

Increased broadband traffic generating a noise on your phone handset in my opinion cannot happen, you are getting inteference from your end.

Of course all this post is based on assumptions as you provided next to no info regarding your connection or attempted fixes.

Comment

Thanks but I should have made the position clearer. The real problem has nothing whatsoever to do with any of my equipment or phone extensions. The noises on the line can be heard even when I unplug all my phone, PC and extensions and plug a reliable cord phone in the BT box. Also even if as recommended by BT, I remove the lower cover to the box and plug a phone in the socket inside.However I have as you suggested replaced the two filters with new ones, since I could hear a little his on the phones sometimes while using broadband.

It seems very suspicious to me and to judge by emails received from 4 others in a local forum, that the noise only occurs when there is obviously considerable increased Broadband traffic such as around midday, 6 pm and Sunday afternoons. Surely there is a limit as to what the old Victorian lines such as here in Hastings can handle. This also appears to have been borne our by the fact SMP messages sent to my answer phone state the problem has been cured, without the need for BT engineer to call here.

Gordon

Comment

Gordon, this is a matter you will have to take up with the appropriate BT department. There is no way we can provide you with a solution to a feed problem from an ISP. Perhaps you could try a BT related Forum for advice from users who have had similar problems from BT.
        1 1 was a racehorse.
        2 2 was 1 2.
        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Thanks for your interest B. Both the fault operator and the BT engineer offering to call here of course deny heavy Broadband traffic can cause noise on the lines. This in spite of the fact the noise only occurred at such times, and also the fact that BT cured the problem without the need for the engineer to call here. I think the answer is if there is any minor fault in the Exchange or lines etc it could manifest itself in noise at such times hindering not only Broadband but voice messages. I suggest we all keep an eye on the situation, otherwise BT and other phone companies will only continue to deny the fact.

On a similar problem, I see in our local Radio Club magazine that there is a claim the low energy bulbs coming into greater use can interfere with Broadband. Also BT are about to sell adapters for their box.. Is there any truth in this which presumably will only be likely to affect Wireless Routers?

Thanks Gordon

Comment

Been running low energy bulbs for over 18 years and wireless for 4. Have not had any problems arise that I have seens.

Had a problem with line noise in the bad old days of dialup on my 2400 baud modem. Turned out it was caused by rain. Whenever it rained the lines got moist and caused the noise. Section of line was replaced and problem fixed. Old lines are going to be more suceptable to this problem. What condition are your phonelines in, fron the street to the first point (junction box) in your house and from the first point to the rest of the points in the house?
            1 1 was a racehorse.
            2 2 was 1 2.
            1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
            2 2 1 1 2

Comment

The lines here in Hastings are known to be pretty bad, there are even still some of aluminium from the days of the copper shortage. Also I am about a mile from the BT excahnge which is why the test shows i could never gat much nore that 3 Mbps even if I paid my server more.

Gordon

Comment

Working...
              X