Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Installation of software on remote access users?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installation of software on remote access users?

My company is installing the Netinstall remote management software and currently we are using a logon script in our 2003 domain to install the client. This won't work on someo of our users that never come to an office and log in to the domain directly. They use cached credentials for months and months at a time. They are using a Cisco VPN client software. I tried creating a GPO to install the software but this doesn't work since they don't get group policy applied since they don't log into the VPN prior to windows logon. I'm at a loss for ideas and would sure appreciate any help.

Re: Installation of software on remote access users?

manual install or wait until they are online and use psexec

Comment

Or even better - have them come into the office every so often. Back up their profile to the server, and get the latest GPOs applied.
      Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

You could also look into getting folks to log into the VPN before logging on to the computer. I think Cisco's VPN client can do that. Or install Vista on the laptops (don't laugh, Vista Business isn't so bad). Vista has better support for updating GPOs even if a user logged in to the computer before establishing the VPN connection.
        Wesley David
        LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
        -------------------------------
        Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
        Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
        Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
        Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

With SP1 installed, Vista is actually almost a usable OS. Before you consider deploying it though, play around with it in a lab. There are a lot of new features that mean it can't natively be managed from Server 03 - you would need to use a Vista workstation with RSAT installed.
          Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Vista is out, as is them coming into the office. (We are talking about 50+ users spead out over the entire country) What I am looking for is to work within the corporate mandated environment. I like the idea of using psexec. Can someone elaborate. Thanks!

Comment

Working...
            X