No announcement yet.

All dashes in every app

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• All dashes in every app

I had a friend call me with a strange problem, about 15 minutes after his computer boots up whenever he opens anything it starts fillng up with dashes ------------- emails, documents, URLs etc it doesn't seem to matter. I have looked around but haven't seen any info regarding a virus and he has swapped out several key boards. is there a virus that anyone knows about that would be doing this? I found a bios virus with similar systems but not exact

Re: All dashes in every app

I don't suppose there's anything between the keyboard and computer? KVM, keylogger, barcode scanner?
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

nothing in between

Two questions:

1. Is this a laptop?
        2. Are you using a PS/2 or USB keyboard?

it is a desktop and I have tried both types of keyboard connectors.

What happens if the keyboard is removed while the PC is running? Obviously open a Word document before disconnecting the keyboard.
            Departed: 23rd December 2015

You could try reinstalling /updating the keyboard drivers in device manager.
              Please remember to award reputation points if you have received good advice.
              I do tend to think 'outside the box' so others may not always share the same views.

MCITP -W7,
              MCSA+Messaging, CCENT, ICND2 slowly getting around to.

Follow the instructions here

Turn off speech recognition. To turn off speech recognition, follow these steps:
                Open the Regional and Language Options tool in Control Panel.
                On the Languages tab, click Details under Text services and input languages.
                Under Installed services, click Speech Recognition, and then click Remove.
                Click OK to apply all the changes. You may need to restart your computer.
                Last edited by Lior_S; 19th December 2008, 19:06. Reason: added instructions
                "...if I turn out to be particularly clear, you've probably misunderstood what I've said” - Alan Greenspan