RAID Query

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RAID Query

Hi all

Me again

I have 2 DL360 G5 servers, one of which is an SQL Server. Recently the usage of SQL has grown quite a lot and amongst adding more RAM (2GB to 4GB) I have been thinking of fiddling with the RAID Array to give more performance.

The Array Controller is a HP Smart Array P400i Embedded, and each server has 2 SAS HDD's.

I thought I had configured them to be Mirrored (Raid 1) but now I am looking at the Array Configuration Utility it is telling me they are in fact RAID 1+0.

Looked up RAID 1+0, and that looks ideal for what I want (either that or RAID 5) however, it states that it is a 4 Drive Minimum requirement.

Each of these Servers have 2 EACH - so Im a little confused as to how they are operating at 1+0, or if in fact they are RAID 1 but the Array Controller is not reporting it correctly??

My original lines of thinking was to just add 1 or 2 drives to each Server (Raid5 and Raid 10 respectively) then migrate the Raid level (I was just looking at how this is done).

So, can anyone give me some suggestions here about what RAID Level I have??

100% 2 Drives, but being reported as RAID 1+0 which is a 4 drive min.

Everywhere I have read so far tells me Raid 10 is same as 1+0.

Re: RAID Query

If you have two drives the 1+0 operates as RAID 1. Only when you have 4+ drives does it become RAID 1+0.

Thank you that explains it then.

Do you know (particualrly with this Array Controller) if I can just add 2 new drives and it automatically does the rest? Or do I have to still perform some manual migration?

Manual migration using ACU.

Hongman, please provide all the relevant information when you post:
          - what size are the existing drives?
          - does the RAID card has BBWC module?
          - what OS do you have installed (including SP and 232 or 64 bit)?
          - what SQL product are you using?

The recommended configuration for an SQL server is to separate the OS from the database and from the logs. So, you'll need:
          - two mirrored drives for the OS;
          - three RAID5 drives (or four for RAID6/RAID10) for the database;
          - a different volume for logs (that can be on a different disk or on a different partition on one of the existing disks).
          In the DL360G5 you have space for 6 disks. Depending on the existing disks, you may need buy additional (maybe different) disks. You might also need to install the server from scratch.
          Please provide the answers to the above questions and we'll go from there.

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.

IF this is external storage,u have to create zoning for there any firmware version avilable for your raid contrller plz check abt this.try to update it from your wsp of HP .
            As per your given detail it has RAID 1 Level.
            Last edited by swapneel; 17th December 2008, 12:52.