Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SCSI Problem

Hi all

Server in question is a DL340 G4, with an external PCI SCSI Adapter for the HP Ultrium 960 Tape Drive.

Has been working for about 3 years, then we moved the server like 20 yards and now here is what Im getting:

At first, upon booting up it would hit the SCSI ID Scan bit, reach the ID of the Tape Drive (3) and then hang - then timeout with a message like "Could not send Ready command" (along those lines) then continue booting up.

I then took out the card, and disconnected the Tape Drive.

To eliminate the 3 pieces that could have gone wrong (Tape Drive, Cable, Card) I plugged in the Tape Drive into another Server i happened to have access to then and it detected it fine, no issues.

That tells me the Tape Drive and SCSI Cable are fine right?

I reinserted the SCSI Card into the Server, left the Tape Drive unattached and it scans through all the ID's as normal, so it looks as if the Card is working too...although if I attach the tape drive nothing works again. I went into the SCSI Card BIOS and reset it to default (changed ID from 10 to 7), tried various things and still no go :/ Now it doesnt even hang on the tape drive, it just scans all ID's and picks up nothing.

What would you do? Replacing parts is not an issue although I really want to avoid replacing a part and then find out it doesnt work.

All components of this work seperated, (it seems) but for reasons unknown it now diesnt work when all together.

Advice appreciated!

Re: SCSI Problem

What is the SCSI card model and manufacturer?
    Is the server an HP one? If so, what is its model? In the DL series there's no 340 server ...
    In the other server you tested on, is the SCSI card the same model and brand?
    Last, but not least: Have you contacted the local HP representative? (if indeed the server is HP?)

Please come back with answers and we'll try to assist you..

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    -

Comment

Hiya

The SCSI Card is an Adaptec 29160LP.

The Server is HP ML340 - my mistake

I only had access to the other server by chance, I didnt take note of the SCSI Card model

Not tried contacting HP, as it may not be a HP Part that is broken.

Driving me nuts, in short:

Worked for 3years+ > Moved Server 20 yards > Wont work...

Comment

It sounds that the SCSI card might be faulty.
        Try to take it out, clean it a bit and reinsert it (maybe it's not sitting properly in the slot).
        Check if the other card is the same and try to change between them (you can change them even if they're not the same, but you will need new drivers).
        BTW, ML340? Don;t think so... Not that is that important, given the fact that the SCSI card is not HP and it worked for three years...

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
        -

Comment

Yeah, its definately an HP Proliant ML340 G4p. Funnily enough it isnt even on the HP discontinued products list anymore but google brings some results.

ANYWAYS, like you said, kind of a moot point.

Problem is I dont have access to the ohter Server anymore :/ I had it in by chance that day so I did a quick test.

I have a feeling its the card too - I have taken it out and reseated it a zillion times! I just wanted to get more opinions on this, as you can understand if I charge my client for a new SCSI Card and it isnt that, they are not going to be very happy

Comment

Originally posted by hongman View Post
            if I charge my client for a new SCSI Card and it isnt that, they are not going to be very happy
            Life's a bitch !!
            Like going to the mechanic: they change all the parts until they get the right one ...

Sorin Solomon

-

Comment

A new card it is then!

Comment

Working...
              X