Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Partition Recovery

Hi,

I try to help local people with their PC's and someone on my local FreeCycle Yahoo group asked for help with a PC that wouldn't boot (XP Home), she's fine with a rebuild which I can easily do but she hoped to get some valuable photos off it, the only copies she had.

So I test the PC and it doesn't boot as expected, I removed the drive and put it in my SATA docking station, detected fine with main partition visible but when I click on it I get ...

F:\ is not accessible

The file or directory is corrupt and unreadable

Any ideas as I'd really like to save this woman's data before I go ahead and trash the system?

One thing I will try is a rebuild without trashing but that's a last resort, I need to try some less intense stuff first so advice welcome.

Kyu
    J C Rocks (An Aspiring Author's Journey)
    The Abyssal Void War: Stars, Hide Your Fires

Re: Partition Recovery

Tried repairing the filesystem with chkdsk? Keep in mind that it's likely that some if not all files will not be recoverable even if you repair the filesystem, depending on which part of the disk is damaged. I would also suggest replacing the disk - in my experience the most common cause of this fault is a head crash or other physical problem, and it was probably time for an upgrade anyway

In any case, explain to your client the value of backing their stuff up.
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Originally posted by gforceindustries View Post
      Tried repairing the filesystem with chkdsk? Keep in mind that it's likely that some if not all files will not be recoverable even if you repair the filesystem, depending on which part of the disk is damaged. I would also suggest replacing the disk - in my experience the most common cause of this fault is a head crash or other physical problem, and it was probably time for an upgrade anyway
      CHKDSK? Hadn't thought of that but yes, I can "see" the partition even if I can't access it so it might have an affect, on another forum someone suggested something called "Recuva" (a free partition recovery tool).

As for upgrading, yeah maybe, but freecycle is about recycling stuff and in this case that means my time & effort so spending actual money isn't really what she would want (she' s got no money anyway).

Kyu

Comment

OK,

Suggestions I've had so far are CHKDSK, PC Inspector and Recuva.

Do you see any issues with any of these and what order do I try them in (some may be more destructive than others).

My best guess would be:

1. CHKDSK (what harm can it do?)
        2. PC Inspector (since it accesses files rather than the whole partition)
        3. Recuva (partition recovery)
        4. Rebuild (without trashing the partition)

Any others thoughts?

Kyu

Comment

Try rstudio, works very well.

http://www.data-recovery-software.net/
          Please remember to award reputation points if you have received good advice.
          I do tend to think 'outside the box' so others may not always share the same views.

MCITP -W7,
          MCSA+Messaging, CCENT, ICND2 slowly getting around to.

Comment

I've had pretty good result with "getdataback", there are two versions - 1 for FAT and 1 for NTFS.

http://www.runtime.org/data-recovery-software.htm
            If the information you receive helps please let us know and leave reputation points where appropriate.

The good news about computers is that they do what you tell them to do. The bad news is that they do what you tell them to do. - Ted Nelson

Comment

Unfortunately both of those cost and I'm doing this job fro someone at no cost (so no profit)

Kyu

Comment

Googling helps
                I googled "open source recovery software"
                http://www.g-loaded.eu/2006/12/08/mo...ecovery-tools/
                cheers
                Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Working...