Security and my registry

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Security and my registry

I have bought a Windows Vista Optimizer and it was not free. One of the things that it offers under security is a Registry Defragger, which I am wary of using even though the program boasts (Microsoft gold certificate partnership?) Should I defrag my registry to boost security and performance or not?
    ....for death is the destiny of every man; the living should take this to heart.

Re: Security and my registry

I'm not too sure how "defragmenting" the registry would really affect performance. Presumably it works by searching the registry and removing any nodes that don't appear to be in use anymore - mostly nodes that contain no data. It may be safe to do that, it may not. Personally I would advise against running any sort of so called "optimiser".

Out of interest, what was the product in question?
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Originally posted by gforceindustries View Post
      I'm not too sure how "defragmenting" the registry would really affect performance. Presumably it works by searching the registry and removing any nodes that don't appear to be in use anymore - mostly nodes that contain no data. It may be safe to do that, it may not. Personally I would advise against running any sort of so called "optimiser".

Company:Systweak(programmers) Program: Advanced Vista optimizer 2008 v2.1
      It has a Microsoft gold certified stamp (which I honestly do not know whether to trust or not but the program is a bit C.P.U intensive for my liking but overall it seems very good to work with and my system is working a lot better and it got rid of over 10,000 temp and junk files from system (disc) and I will now go on to update my Bios as the program was able to tell me who manufactured it Bro'Thanks so much for your intelligent feedback.... One more thing about this program..... it can tweak just about any facet of Vista..
      ....for death is the destiny of every man; the living should take this to heart.

Comment

Microsoft Partner is something that basically anybody can become. Microsoft Gold Partner is similar, but requires paying a fee. Not wanting to devalue it, but essentially it is no guarantee of quality. Rather, it is an indication of a firm's committment to the Microsoft platform, and the resources they have access to.

Try to verify that the publisher is in fact a partner - anybody could easily save the logo image from the web and use it on their own site.
        Gareth Howells

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Originally posted by gforceindustries View Post

the registry is a database, the pages/tables etc within the database can be defragged.

I've used various programs to defrag my registry although its just marketing jumbo to get you to buy a product.

Comment

Moved to Misc.
            Marcel
            Technical Consultant
            Netherlands
            http://www.phetios.com
            http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
            "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
            "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

I would rather use utilities such as the Sysinternals PageDefrag if I needed to.
              PageDefrag will actualy tell you the amount of fragmented pagefiles and registry hives.
              But as GI stated don't expect a great deal of improved performance from defragging the reg hives. You'll notice that defragging the Page files might affect the perfomance more.

Cheers
              Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

Originally posted by L4ndy View Post
                I would rather use utilities such as the Sysinternals PageDefrag if I needed to
                Also a good point - seems silly to use a product that seems to hide behind a facade of glitter when a free and 100% to the point utility will do it - especially when that utility is from a reputable source.
                Gareth Howells

Comment

Working...
                X