Dell BIOS settings

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dell BIOS settings

OK, I've no idea how to suss this one out. I've looked on the dell site (searching using the service tag #) and I've come up with nothing. Maybe my search engine kung fu is broken today. Anyway here's the specs, then we'll get to the problem:

Dell Dimension 4600 (service tag: 1RR9N41)
    P4 2.8 GHz
    512 MB
    Win XP SP2, all the latest hotfixes

I've installed an old ATI Mach64 card in one of the PCI slots in the hopes of adding a 2nd monitor. Windows sees the card fine. I know there's a bios setting I need to tweak to stop the onboard video from loading first (or something to that effect). My problem is, during boot, the screen stays black (and the LED onthe monitor stays orange) all the way up until the logon prompt appears.

I know F2 is the BIOS switch. If I hit F2 during boot I think I'm being dropped into the BIOS. The monitor stays black but Windows never comes up... at least not until I press ESC then enter. It looks like that exits the BIOS then reboots (the keyboard LEDs flash) and eventually it comes up like normal.

So question is, how do I get the monitor to come on while I'm booting so I can actually see what I'm doing in the BIOS? I tried flashing the BIOS w/ an update on Dell's site but that didn't change anything. I've also tried another monitor but it does the same thing. Is this some sort of "quiet boot" setting that skips all the normal POST stuff?

Proven e-Commerce Solutions
    340 N. 12th St.
    Suite 200
    Philadelphia PA 19107

This option is usually found within the bios in the section labeled integrated peripherals. Typically the setting for the video card can be altered in only 2 ways, Integrated or Auto (default).

Its likely that DOS or the bios will probably only function on the integrated graphics controller. If the secondary video card is detected by windows open the display properties and check the option to expand the desktop to the secondary display.

If you've already done this let us know.
    Andrew

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

That's great, I'll give it a try.

But I'm still wondering, why I can't see anything on the screen until after windows has finished starting? This is happening with just one monitor attached, on the integrated controller. I'll try removing the PCI card and booting again and see if it still does it.

Proven e-Commerce Solutions
      340 N. 12th St.
      Suite 200
      Philadelphia PA 19107

Comment

Re: Dell BIOS settings

I'm having similar problems with a Dell PowerEdge 1800 when dual-booting Linux/Windows.

I'm trying to disable the onboard IGP so I can solely use my fancy PCI graphics card with Beryl/Ubuntu.

Anyone found a way to disable the Dell ATI 7000M IGP?

Comment

Re: Dell BIOS settings

did you search for a stting in the bios like agp/pci or something like that you have to change it so the second option becomes first... if its available in the dell bios...

and to
          Anyone found a way to disable the Dell ATI 7000M IGP?
          if you can not disable it in the bios... try to find something in the motherboard manual maybe there is a jumper to disable it.
          MCSE 2000 Done
          RHCE Done

Comment

Working...
          X