Server purchase

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Server purchase

I am in the market to purchase new server. It has to be from Dell.
    The new server will be primarly used for financial apps (ADP, Blakcbaud, etc). It will run SQL on it. So I need something fast. It also has to be a blade server (I have no room in my rack for towers).
    Any reccomendation (model, specs)
    Also should I get Server 2003 , 2007 or 2008 as my OS ?
    Thanks

Re: Server purchase

How many users will it support, and what storage space do you need?
    What is your budget?

There is no such thing as "Server 2007" -- just 2003 and 2008 -- and the one you use will probably depend more on your apps requirements than anything else.

I would think a bit more then talk to Dell with some definite requirements,
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Discuss your requirements with your Dell account manager. If you don't have one, get one. Negotiate with them - don't pay the website price. If you buy enough then maybe they'll even give you a new rack

You say there'sno room in your rack for towers... what about 'normal' rack mounted servers rather than blades? May work out cheaper
      Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Originally posted by maxim42 View Post
        I am in the market to purchase new server. It has to be from Dell.
        I won't ask why, it's your problem...
        The new server will be primarly used for financial apps (ADP, Blakcbaud, etc). It will run SQL on it.
        How many users? How many transactions? Will there be development on that server also?
        So I need something fast.
        What do you mean fast? A multiple-core CPU? OR fast I/O?
        It also has to be a blade server (I have no room in my rack for towers).
        Tell me you meant rack-mounted and not blade server.

I can only agree with Ossian and gforce... Go and get a pre-sale guy, to check your needs and give you the best fit configuration, both from the hardware and the OS point of view.

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
        -

Comment

Working...
        X