MSSQL 2005 on which RAID?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MSSQL 2005 on which RAID?

We have anew DL380 G5 server with 6 x 146GB 10K SAS 2.5 DP HDD.

We will be installing Windows Server 2003 and then MSSQL 2005

I would like to know if RAID 10 configuration is good for this?
    ________
    Honda NB50
    Last edited by smartcard; 25th January 2011, 03:36.

Re: MSSQL 2005 on which RAID?

From dim memories of the SQL courses you are ideally looking at:
    OS on Raid 1 for resiliance
    Data files on RAID 5 or 10 for speed and resiliance
    Log files on RAID 10 for speed and resiliance (but not on the same array as the data)

With "only" 6 drives, I would consider:
    RAID 1 OS
    RAID 5 for everything else

but there will be other opinions...
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I was planing of doing all (OS and DB) 6 drives on RAID 10, which will give me 438GB space.

How is this idea?
      ________
      free magento themes
      Last edited by smartcard; 25th January 2011, 03:37.

Comment

IIRC RAID 10 is 4 drives only (Mirrored stripes -- or is it striped mirrrors )
        Is there a RAID 15 (mirrored RAID 5s)?
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

How heavily is the database going to be used? How many people accessing it? How big is it going to be initially and what are your growth expectations.
          What are the business requirements on downtime etc?
          You may find external storage is better in the long run.

I've always been a fan of Ossians recommendation. Mirror for the OS and then different RAIDs for Logs and DB etc.
          cheers
          Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

How critical is the disk space issue?
            I strongly recommend to follow Ossian's recommendation. Having the OS on mirror, especially hardware-based, it has its (very important) advantages:
            - you can take one of the disks out of the mirror and boot the server with the other one. You can update/upgrade/install anything you want and test if it's OK. If it's not, you have the old system in the disk that was out. IF it does, it is enough you push the disk that was out back in and the mirror will rebuild.
            - you can get another identical disk and replace one of the disks in the mirror. The disk that is now out contains a full backup of the server's OS, that can be stored in a fire-proof safe or moved to a remote location for a low-tech, low-budget DRP process.
            Plus, separating the OS from the data (and not only in two separate volumes) is the right thing to do.

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
            -

Comment

Originally posted by sorinso View Post
              How critical is the disk space issue?
              Not very critical, the requirement is low and only about 10-20 concurrent users are going to access the db, the db will be used for MS Dynamics ERP.

If I correctly understand you and Ossian...

1) Use 2 x 146GB HDD as RAID 1 and install the OS in it
              2) Use 4 x 146GB HDD as RAID 10 for MSSQL

Is it correct?
              ________
              girlfriend pic

Comment

That is reasonable, but for best performance (and more importantly, reliability) I think you should consider the possibility of adding a second RAID controller and drives to create a third array as Ossian suggested. If a drive fails, then RAID will cover you. But if a controller fails and you lose the array... could you afford to roll back to the most recent backup and potentially lose an entire day of data?
                Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Originally posted by gforceindustries View Post
                  That is reasonable, but for best performance (and more importantly, reliability) I think you should consider the possibility of adding a second RAID controller and drives to create a third array as Ossian suggested. If a drive fails, then RAID will cover you. But if a controller fails and you lose the array... could you afford to roll back to the most recent backup and potentially lose an entire day of data?
                  Unfortunately, we don't have 2nd raid controller. All what we have is one controller and 6 HDD.
                  ________
                  glass pipe

Comment

I realise - my suggestion was to consider the possibility. As I said, you need to weigh up the cost of hardware that meets "best practices" against the potential cost to your business if you lose data.
                    Gareth Howells

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Okay to summarize.. Ossian suggested:

With "only" 6 drives, I would consider:
                      RAID 1 OS
                      RAID 5 for everything else
                      I want to know if the following is better?

1) Use 2 x 146GB HDD as RAID 1 and install the OS in it
                      2) Use 4 x 146GB HDD as RAID 10 for MSSQL
                      ________
                      Honda CR480
                      Last edited by smartcard; 25th January 2011, 03:38.

Comment

And what about 3x times raid 1 (mirror)
                        reliable, fast and 3x 146gb of diskspace.

1 mirror for OS
                        1 mirror for logs
                        1 mirror for the DB
                        Marcel
                        Technical Consultant
                        Netherlands
                        http://www.phetios.com
                        http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
                        "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
                        "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

A lot depends on the drive space you need
                          3xRAID 1 will give max 146Gb per volume -- this is plenty for the OS but may not be for the database

Raid1 + RAID 10 will give 146 + 292 GB -- no actual space gain, but more flexibility
                          RAID1 + RAID 5 will give 146 + 438GB

Again, this is from memory, but one of the drawbacks of RAID 1 for SQL Server is (relatively) slow writes as the data must be written twice. Since log files must be written before transactions are committed, this can cause speed issues. Reads are, of course, faster, as both drives can be read together.

Note also that your RAID controller must be "db aware" so that it can never report data as written until it is committed to the drive. If it caches writes, a power failure could leave SQL Server in an inconsistent state with the software thinking data is written to the log or data file (reported by the controller) when actually it was cached on the controller and lost in the crash.
                          Last edited by Ossian; 3rd December 2008, 12:38.
                          Tom Jones
                          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                          IT Trainer / Consultant
                          Ossian Ltd
                          Scotland

Comment

I would strongly recommend that you disable write-caching.
                            Gareth Howells

Comment

Originally posted by gforceindustries View Post
                              I would strongly recommend that you disable write-caching.

But IIRC some controllers will do it anyway (or whats the point of all the RAM on them), separately from Windows write caching
                              Tom Jones
                              PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                              IT Trainer / Consultant
                              Ossian Ltd
                              Scotland

Comment

Working...
                              X