Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need to connect a SCSI I Device to a PC

Hi Everyone,

I'm not very good with SCSI so I'm coming here for advise!

A friend of mine has an old DOS PC with a big database file on its SCSI hard drive that he wants to transfer to a newer PC. Obviously the file can't be transfered easily because it's a SCSI 1 device and the PC is 5 1/2" floppy drives (no USB of course!).

I've attached a picture of the connection and the hard drive below. What would be the easiest method to have this bugger detect itself in a Windows PC? I was thinking some sort of SCSI PCI controller card that this can plug into, but not sure what's best.

Thank you!
    Sam
    Attached Files
    Last edited by stommy989; 24th November 2008, 04:47.

Re: Need to connect a SCSI I Device to a PC

A PCI-controller should work, maybe yoou can find one on Ebay, or similar sites. It is a very old thing.. - I can figure out, that you have no backup of the database??

If there is a controllercard in the old PC, you can move to another PC, unless it is ISA.
    Best regards,
    Carsten.

Comment

You can still get controllers with that interface on them - it is still used for some SCSI optical drives.

Assuming you don't know about addressing...

You can have multiple SCSI devices on a chain - more than the 2 device limit of IDE. On an IDE chain there is a master and a slave. On a SCSI chain, devices have different addresses. The SCSI controller usually has the address 7, although this can be changed.

Set the drive to address 1, connect it to the chain and try to detect it. If it isn't detected, try changing the address (usually set with DIP switches or jumpers - probably on the front of the drive, and naturally make these changes when the power is turned off.
      Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Thanks guys,
        The controller card in the DOS PC is a long, gigantic ISA card.

Would a PCI controller like this work?:
        http://cgi.ebay.com/Adaptec-AHA-2940...1%7C240%3A1318

I just notice it has the internal 50 pin connector like the hard drive...can I install that card as normally, plug the hard drive into the connector and let Windows detect it normally? Do I need to do anything about the external connector, SCSI ID's, etc?

And no, he does not have a backup of the database...the program is too big to put on floppies and obviously there's no USB or burner drives, so it's a pain to make a backup. So we want to just plug it into Windows, let it detect itself and drag the folder he needs off of it .

Sam
        Last edited by stommy989; 24th November 2008, 18:29.

Comment

I think 2940UW will work for you. I have had one for years ago, fine controller
          Best regards,
          Carsten.

Comment

Thank you! Glad for that extra reassurance of someone else whose used the same card!

Do I need to worry about terminators or anything on that outside connector, or is it really just plug the card in, install the driver if necessary, plug the ribbon cable in and set the address to 1...and voila I see the slave drive?

Comment

You will need to terminate the chain. The drive may have an inbuilt terminator which you can enable with a jumper, or you will need a separate one. Is there one in the old machine?

The controller will most likely terminate the other end of the chain itself.
              Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Working...
              X