Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Symantec Issue

Hi ,

We are using Symantec Corporate Edition 7.0 in SBS 2000 Server , now since last 3 days when we are upgrading the virus defination in our server it tooks to the server in old defination date 15/12/1999..then what may be the issue ...

I have even remove the total 7.0 and even reinstall it in a new diectory ..even though the problem is not resolved...so any solution ...

Kathy

Re: Symantec Issue

If you AV isn't running I would give Symantec a ring straight away.
    I don't use their software but you may be able to find an dat update or similar on their website.

Is the product still licensed?
    cheers
    Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Hi ,

Can anyone suggest me a Toll Free number for symantec from India ..

Thanks

Kathy

Comment

I'm not sure if there is one. Their business support portal for India is located at http://www.symantec.com/en/in/busine...port/index.jsp
        Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Had the EXACT same thing happen on a new site I just took over (and dropped 2 days later). SAV 7.6 CE was still installed even though they have a site licence for V10.

I was under the belief that SAV7.x was no longer supported with updates even though when I update the server I mentioned above, it downloaded a 39MB file, did the Virus Update action. Didn't get a chance to check what was on the clients so I don't know if the update was being pushed out or not.

In any case, I would strongly suggest updating to a newer version of the product as version 7 is now over 6 years old. Look for a product that is SBS aware so you don't have to maually add the files NOT to scan (Exchange etc).

Symantec have changed their web site again so I was unable to find what i was looking for but they used to have an EXE file (Intelligent Updater) that would scan your machine and update with the appropriate definitions.

Not looking good. http://www.symantec.com/enterprise/s...ort_Policy.pdf

A long seach of the Symantec site indicates Version 7 is no longer supported. SAV 8 and above are the only ones listed for support with this gem being quoted from their site.

Originally posted by Symantec
          Use the Intelligent Updater files that are appropriate for your product version and platform.

Symantec Antivirus 8.0 reached its End of Support Life as of November 30, 2005 and Symantec Antivirus 8.1 reached its End of Support Life as of January 31, 2007, as defined in the Symantec Enterprise Technical Support Policy. Therefore virus definition updates are no longer supported for this product.

Symantec Antivirus 9.x will reach its End of Support Life as of March 31, 2009. Virus definition updates for version 9.x will be discontinued on April 1, 2009. Please contact your account manager or reseller for information about our current shipping versions.
          http://www.symantec.com/business/sec....jsp?gid=savce

I know it doesn't fix your problem but it does answer the question. You either need a new version or a new program. You may not get an upgrade discount since your present product is so old and I would look around for something better. Keep in mind that it needs to support SBS2000 and whatever you may be looking at upgrading your SBS2000 version to as that is also getting way past its use by date. (Please no flames for that comment )
          1 1 was a racehorse.
          2 2 was 1 2.
          1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
          2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Hi ,

I have tried a lot for upgrading my server virus definations ...but it fails ..I think symantec has stop supporting for updating virus def for engine 7.6...anyway can anyone suggest a free anti virus available which updates virus defination on server and release it on client system .

I have tried this 3 anti virus products

1. AVG --It does not support my client W2k Prof OS , Also no central Update and release it in client .

2. PC Tools -- Its not supporting Client Server mode also having a issue with update defination behind firewall

3. Clam AV -- No Real time scanning , need to scan files manually..

Can anyone suggest some for my network

Server: Windows SBS 2000
            Client: Windows 2k Prof,Win xp Prof

Thanks ,

Kathy

Comment

Not free, no. Note that AVG and possibly others are not free for commercial use.
              Gareth Howells

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Hi ,

If any one can suggest me good anti virus for free and commercial use.

Kathy

Comment

Clam is the only Windows AV that is free for commercial use, as far as my research suggests.
                  Gareth Howells

Comment

You want a free AV for a business??????? Just remember you get what you pay for.

Make sure you put in the appropriate exclusions or you will screw up your Exchange Server (assuming you are running Exchange on SBS 2000).
                    1 1 was a racehorse.
                    2 2 was 1 2.
                    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Alternatively, *buy* a decent AV package, one that is Exchange aware. I realise that these are difficult times for a lot of companies financially, but there are some things that you can't afford to compromise on.
                      Gareth Howells

Comment

Generally speaking software vendors provide SBE editions at a reduced price. We use Sophos Enterprise here but a quick look at their website shows that a 5 user copy of Sophos Security Suite SBE 2.5 232.50 (I am not affiliated in any way with Sophos, I am an end user and as such this is not a recommendation, just an example).
                        If the information you receive helps please let us know and leave reputation points where appropriate.

The good news about computers is that they do what you tell them to do. The bad news is that they do what you tell them to do. - Ted Nelson

Comment

Working...
                        X