Boot Server from a USB external drive

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boot Server from a USB external drive

I was wondering if anyone could help me with this. I have a IBM xSeries 306 8836 server, and I was needing to boot this server to install vmware from external usb dvd drive. if anyone knows how I can do this, please let me know. I have tried almost everything on this. Or let me know if I cannot do this.

Thanks,
    Mark

Re: Boot Server from a USB external drive

Change the boot order in the BIOS to boot from USB - if the BIOS supports this.
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

It does not give me a option to change it in the bios. I have already looked at that. I am trying to figure out another way for it to find it. I guess I will have to just buy a internal ide cdrom and use that I guess.

Thanks,
      Mark

Comment

If the BIOS doesn't support booting from USB devices, then yes you will have to get an IDE drive. They're ridiculously cheap now.
        Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Originally posted by gforceindustries View Post
          If the BIOS doesn't support booting from USB devices, then yes you will have to get an IDE drive. They're ridiculously cheap now.
          Err, what's an IDE drive?

Without reading the manual (which I haven't time to do) this looks like it has the goos to USB boot. http://www.ciao.com/IBM_eserver_xSer...#productdetail Insert USB device (anything, even an empty one) and then Press F12 during POST and see if you get the USB Boot option being displayed. If it is then you should be able to boot from it.
          1 1 was a racehorse.
          2 2 was 1 2.
          1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
          2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
          X