X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My eBay account was breached

A26 TKO NOTICE: Restored Account - mtosev

Dear mtosev

It appears your account was accessed by an unauthorized third party and used to send unsolicited emails to other community members, including email offers to sell items outside of eBay. It does not appear that your account was used to list or bid on any items. Additionally, the email address on your account may have been tampered with, which is why you may not have received any emails about this activity.

At this time we have taken several steps to secure your eBay account. Rest assured that your credit card and banking information is safe on the eBay site. This information is kept encrypted on a secure server and cannot be viewed by anyone.

To regain control of your account, please complete the following:

1. Change the password on your personal EMAIL account to verify that it is secure and cannot be accessed by anyone other than you.
    2. Change the password on your eBay account. To do so, click the "Forgot your password" link on the eBay sign-in page and change your password using the instructions provided.
    3. Follow the steps below to secure your account:
    > Click on the "Security & Resolution Center" link found at the bottom of most eBay pages.
    > Click on the "eBay Account Protection" link in the "Online Security Resources" box. This will take you to the help page titled "Securing Your Account and Reporting Account Theft."
    > Follow the instructions provided in "Securing Your Account".

As you take these steps, please be aware that you may need to repeat the instructions provided above or use the "Back" button on your Web browser to return to the "Securing Your Account" page.

To learn more about these fake or "spoof" eBay emails, visit the "Security Center" link found at the bottom of most eBay pages followed by the "Stopping spoof emails and Web sites" under "General Online Safety."

Password guessing

If you use a fairly simple or easy-to-guess password, it is possible that someone could guess it after repeated attempts. For this reason, it is important to use a password that consists of a combination of letters and numbers and is not related to your user ID, name, or anything you buy or sell. It is also important to use different passwords for the various online accounts you use (email, PayPal, etc).

Computer viruses

There are a number of computer viruses in circulation that log and record keystrokes. It is recommended that computer users keep their virus alert software up-to-date and regularly check for operating system and web browser updates. A firewall for high-speed internet users is also highly recommended.

Any inquiries regarding your password or other information about your account can be sent to us by clicking "Help" on any eBay page and then selecting "Contact Us."

If you are contacted with questions about the messages that were sent from your account or other related issues, please refer those individuals to the web address provided above.
    --

My pc is clean no viruses/spyware, ShealdsUp! said that my compuer is no visible on the internet, I didn't click on any "spoof" email, I use FF 3.0.3, only I known the password.

Any ideas?
    FB:

"http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=659770093"

Re: My eBay account was breached

Thread moved to Misc. forum
    Regards,
    Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
    Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
    www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

I am sorry, but what do you excpect if you put in a scanned image of your passport as a signature!!.

My point is you have got to be cautious about the personal information you publish. If you don't look after them properly someone else will (or has).

Take care
      Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

Originally posted by mtosev View Post
        <snipped blah blah blah>

Any ideas?
        Any ideas about what?

All the information you need is in the email. Because there are no links in it I assume it is genuine. Look after your accounts!

1. Use strong passwords with no personal meaning for everything (e.g. "Hs1r8o3p/").
        2. Use a different password for each thing.
        3. Don't post your personal details on the internet except where you must.
        4. When you get an email like this, FOLLOW ALL THE INSTRUCTIONS YOU ARE GIVEN TO THE LETTER.

Tom
        For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

Originally posted by Stonelaughter View Post
          1. Use strong passwords with no personal meaning for everything (e.g. "Hs1r8o3p/").
          Change them frequently.

Originally posted by L4ndy View Post
          I am sorry, but what do you excpect if you put in a scanned image of your passport as a signature
          Why exactly is your signature a link to your passport / ID card scan? I can't think of a good reason for doing so. Maybe remove it (link *and* image) before someone steals your identity?
          Last edited by gforceindustries; 14th November 2008, 10:20.
          Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

To be honest I had my account "breached" however I do not honestly believe it was by an outside influence.
            cheers
            Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Office prank?
              Gareth Howells

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Don't want to get off topic but there are many sites that imply there are internal moles.

mtosev - make sure you do as they ask. Scan your machine for viruses using an online scanner (trend etc) and run spybot, malwarebytes. Change all of your email/logon etc passwords after you know your machine is clean OR even better from a known clean machine asap.
                cheers
                Andy

Comment

Any ideas about what?

All the information you need is in the email. Because there are no links in it I assume it is genuine. Look after your accounts!

4. When you get an email like this, FOLLOW ALL THE INSTRUCTIONS YOU ARE GIVEN TO THE LETTER.
                  gmail said this

Password strength:
                  Strong

the password wasn't anything personal. i had it since 99 or 00. It was the password that ISP gave me. 8 years ago.
                  FB:

Comment

Strong passwords will reduce the possibility of your account being breached but it will not eliminate it entirely. As previously mentioned, you should ensure that you use different strong pseudo-random passwords for each service you have and that you change them regularly.

There is nothing you can do to prevent a brute force attack, you can only take measures to reduce the chance of it succeeding.

the password wasn't anything personal. i had it since 99 or 00. It was the password that ISP gave me. 8 years ago.
                    You're really using a password that old? For multiple services?
                    Last edited by gforceindustries; 14th November 2008, 16:01.
                    Gareth Howells

Comment

So it sounds like you use the same OLD password on multiple accounts? My guess is that you have a keylogger and they tried one capped PW on the accounts it found in your cookies.
                      ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Wired View Post
                        So it sounds like you use the same OLD password on multiple accounts? My guess is that you have a keylogger and they tried one capped PW on the accounts it found in your cookies.
                        yes. paypal, gmail,ebay,... same password.

Pc was/is clean. no malware. 100% sure.
                        FB:

Comment

You say that like it is normal and ok to do that.
                          It really isn't.
                          You should have different passwords for each one and change them regularly.
                          I do appreciate that won't happen and I don't do it myself however I do change mine fairly often and never have banking passwords the same as email passwords.

PLUS you can never be 100% sure.. ever.
                          cheers
                          Andy

Comment

Originally posted by AndyJG247 View Post
                            You say that like it is normal and ok to do that.
                            It really isn't.
                            You should have different passwords for each one and change them regularly.
                            I do appreciate that won't happen and I don't do it myself however I do change mine fairly often and never have banking passwords the same as email passwords.

PLUS you can never be 100% sure.. ever.
                            [FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,Sans-Serif,MS Sans Serif][SIZE=-1][COLOR=#000060]Your system has achieved a perfect "TruStealth" rating. Not a single packet — solicited or otherwise — was received from your system as a result of our security probing tests. Your system ignored and refused to reply to repeated Pings (ICMP Echo Requests). From the standpoint of the passing probes of any hacker, this machine does not exist on the Internet. Some questionable personal security systems expose their users by attempting to "counter-probe the prober", thus revealing themselves. But your system wisely remained silent in every way. Very nice.
                            --
                            AntiVirus and also antispyware didn't find anything (before or after). plus I use osk.exe when I type passwords. so I'm 99.99%.
                            FB:

Comment

And yet you still have your ID card as a signature.
                              There was no offence meant but you really have to change your passwords and make sure you don't have one that accesses everything.
                              cheers
                              Andy

Comment

Working...
                              X