Backup Exec 10d

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Backup Exec 10d

I have a client who uses Backup Exec 10d.

We are looking to replace their current server with a Windows Server 2008 x64 OS. Does anyone know if the above 32bit version of Backup Exec will work on Server 2008 in a 64bit environment or should we look to update this too to the latest version? I know ideally updating would be the best option, however upgrading isn't a cheap approach.
    Please remember to leave positive reputation points (The Ying Yang Icon) if someone helps you.

Re: Backup Exec 10d

Brief research suggests that this version is not supported on x64 Server 2008. Upgrading to 12.5 looks like the best solution.

Or using Windows Server Backup, which has replaced ntbackup http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../cc754572.aspx
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Backup Exec 12 is certified to work on Server 2008 and is the first version that is 2008 compatible. 12.5 went live a few weeks ago, we've actually just upgraded to it here in the office.

If you are only backing up the local server which has the tape drive in it then Windows Server Backup will do fine at least for now. It's only when you are backing up things like SQL Servers or Remote Servers that Backup Exec comes into it's own.

I wonder if Server Backup is still based on an old version of Veritas Backup Exec like ntbackup was though?
      BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
      sigpic
      Cruachan's Blog

Comment

I didn't think the inbuilt version can write to tape drives? Plus I need to backup Exchange, something I know it can't do.
        Please remember to leave positive reputation points (The Ying Yang Icon) if someone helps you.

Comment

Originally posted by ]SK[ View Post
          I didn't think the inbuilt version can write to tape drives? Plus I need to backup Exchange, something I know it can't do.
          You're right, I don't think it can write to tape drives directly. Huge step backwards.

Can't backup Exchange? That's ridiculous :/
          Gareth Howells

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Yup, not good for small businesses. Very much a backward step by Microsoft. Apprently the SBS version of 2008 can do database backups.

Comment

Exchange IS databases, or just database databases?
              Gareth Howells

Comment

Exchange Information Store database.

Comment

Good to know, thanks.

Still a bit backwards not supporting tape drives though.
                  Gareth Howells

Comment

I think MS are wanting people to use DPM 2007. Again this costs though.

Comment

Working...
                    X