Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Offline synchronization

Hello,
    I am trying to set up My Documents to syncronize with a network drive (when the drive is present).
    What I mean is , I have a few sales people use laptops and while they are on the field they save or retrive documents from "My documents" . Once they get back to the office and log in to the domain they autmotacily get mapped to my network drive and at that point I need My Documents to Syncronize with that network drive, so that all the documents they have created/changed and save in "My Documents" during the day automatcily get coped to my network drive.
    Any ideas ?
    Thanks

Re: Offline synchronization

Folder redirects sound like a perfect fit for you. What client OS is on the laptops? Are you running in a domain?
    Wesley David
    LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
    -------------------------------
    Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
    Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
    Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
    Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

Here's a relatively easy way to do it whether you have an AD domain or not:

1. create a network share
      2. Make the share available offline
      3. Create a folder in the share for each user
      4. Right click the My Documents folder on each user's desktop and click the "move" button
      5. Browse to the user's folder in the share and select it

This will move the files and folders in the user's My Documents folder to the network folder and create an offline copy in the user's local My Documents folder. When the user opens My Documents while they are connected to the network they will be using the copy from the network share. When they disconnect from the network the network copy will be synchronized with the local copy. When the user works offline on the files and then connects to the network, the local copy will be synchronized with the network copy. This is all transparent to the user and lets you also backup all the files and folders on the network share.

Comment

If I could add just a bit of clarity to JoeQwerty's brilliant post, when you right click "My Documents", click properties and then on the "target" tab click the "Move" button. (That left me scratching my head for a few moments )
        Wesley David
        LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
        -------------------------------
        Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
        Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
        Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
        Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

Right, sorry. I was doing it from memory. TY Nonapeptide.

Comment

I wrote this about folder redirection, it's worth having a look at.
            Also on the share tab, of the profiles share, click caching and choose 'All files and programs the users open from the share will be automatically available offline' and the check box for optimized for performance.
            http://forums.petri.com/showthread.php?t=28726
            Please remember to award reputation points if you have received good advice.
            I do tend to think 'outside the box' so others may not always share the same views.

MCITP -W7,
            MCSA+Messaging, CCENT, ICND2 slowly getting around to.

Comment

Working...
            X