Remote monitoring software for clients' systems

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remote monitoring software for clients' systems

My company is looking into getting software to monitor our clients' systems. We are currently testing out N-Able and NTR Global's products.

I wanted to know if anyone has suggestions for software that they've used and can recommend that I can add to the list to check out.
    Regards,
    Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
    Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
    www.gma-cpa.com

Re: Remote monitoring software for clients' systems

What OSs are you looking to monitor? I've used both Microsoft Operations Manager 2005 and Hound Dog in the past, at the moment we have System Center Essentials setup to monitor our servers in a colo site.

MOM is pretty decent but takes AGES to configure. For at least a few weeks you'll be filtering and disabling alerts to suit your environment. SCE is pretty similar on that front. Hound Dog is much smaller and simpler, it monitors backup success, critical services and a few performance indicators like available memory, disk space etc.
    BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
    sigpic
    Cruachan's Blog

Comment

We mainly deal with Windows. There are a few Macs but they're not crucial. It would be nice if it could integrate with the various switches and firewalls our clients use. (mainly HP, Dell, and WatchGuard)

As for MOM and SCE, do they work well for monitoring several unrelated domains in a central location? I've never worked with MOM or SCE.
      Regards,
      Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Originally posted by JeremyW View Post
        We mainly deal with Windows. There are a few Macs but they're not crucial. It would be nice if it could integrate with the various switches and firewalls our clients use. (mainly HP, Dell, and WatchGuard)

As for MOM and SCE, do they work well for monitoring several unrelated domains in a central location? I've never worked with MOM or SCE.
        You can certainly do that with MOM, I don't have enough experience with SCE but I'd assume if MOM could do it then SCE can. If not then SCOM certainly will be able to: AFAIK SCE is the cutdown version and SCOM is the replacement for MOM. SCE will only support ~30 servers and 500 or so clients anyway which may not be enough for you.

I used to work for a company that did support for various small businesses and we used MOM to monitor their servers and check for issues. We had a central MOM server collecting the data, and all of the client servers were in completely unrelated domains.

SCE has management packs for various devices. We've been able to get all of our Dell kit integrated, but are having some bother with a management pack for an HP NAS1000. We haven't been able to find out from HP if it is the NAS or the fact that it's running Storage Server 2003 that's the issue. There are management packs for various switches etc as well though.
        BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
        sigpic
        Cruachan's Blog

Comment

I am using Hounddog. http://www.hounddogiseasy.com/referrer.html?code=YNPX
          It is only available to IT Support Companies, you cannot subscribe to it as an end user. Fully brand-able etc.

I am surprised that you don't have Level Platforms on the list. I wouldn't recommend them personally. I looked at their service earlier in the year, and decided it wasn't fit for purpose. However they don't agree and are refusing to cancel my contract with them.

Simon.
          --
          Simon Butler
          Exchange MVP

Blog: http://blog.sembee.co.uk/
          More Exchange Content: http://exchange.sembee.info/
          Exchange Resources List: http://exbpa.com/
          In the UK? Hire me: http://www.sembee.co.uk/

Sembee is a registered trademark, used here with permission.

Comment

Originally posted by Sembee View Post
            However they don't agree and are refusing to cancel my contract with them
            Fixed term contract?

Have they failed to deliver one or more aspects of their side of the contract, or are they just generally useless?
            Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Originally posted by gforceindustries View Post
              Fixed term contract?

Have they failed to deliver one or more aspects of their side of the contract, or are they just generally useless?
              Fixed contract. I can't really say much more as I have now placed it in the hands of my legal firm.

Simon.
              --
              Simon Butler
              Exchange MVP

Blog: http://blog.sembee.co.uk/
              More Exchange Content: http://exchange.sembee.info/
              Exchange Resources List: http://exbpa.com/
              In the UK? Hire me: http://www.sembee.co.uk/

Sembee is a registered trademark, used here with permission.

Comment

Lame. Hadn;t looked at them before, but will steer clear of them now thanks for the heads up
                Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Thanks cruachan. I'll read up a little on SCE and SCOM to find out if they are something we want to use.

I know at some point our company will be moving to MS's CRM and Sharepoint so SCE and/or SCOM might integrate with it nicely if we keep it all in the MS family.
                  Regards,
                  Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Originally posted by Sembee View Post
                    I am using Hounddog. http://www.hounddogiseasy.com/referrer.html?code=YNPX
                    It is only available to IT Support Companies, you cannot subscribe to it as an end user. Fully brand-able etc.

I am surprised that you don't have Level Platforms on the list. I wouldn't recommend them personally. I looked at their service earlier in the year, and decided it wasn't fit for purpose. However they don't agree and are refusing to cancel my contract with them.

Simon.
                    God, I wouldn't bother with Level Platforms. Like Sembee I've had issues with them. One of our clients uses a product by them, and suggested them to us so I checked out one of their products. Ultimately we didn't buy because it just didn't fit for us and imo was too expensive for what you can get for free these days. Anyway, if you check them out, then choose not to purchase they spam you and call you endlessly with "join our conference call requests" until you tell them to bugger off.
                    Last edited by ahinson; 19th November 2008, 20:28.
                    Andrew

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Hi ,
                      what exectly fo you need to monitor ?
                      i can tell you that im working with "CA Unicenter" great application to monitor server + workstations..

i also have the spectrum application that know to monitor even network equipment...

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions Sdesign and eProc. If you have time could you give me some pros/cons about the software you use?
                        Regards,
                        Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

We've had Kaseya pushed at us for looking into by an eternal support company.

No actual working knowledge of it but have seen it in action and it looks not too bad.

http://www.kaseya.com/

Comment

Originally posted by wullieb1 View Post
                            We've had Kaseya pushed at us for looking into by an eternal support company.
                            Wow. That's a tough contract... eternal?
                            Wesley David
                            LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
                            -------------------------------
                            Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
                            Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
                            Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
                            Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

Originally posted by Nonapeptide View Post
                              Wow. That's a tough contract... eternal?
                              If you'd seen the price they were quoting you'd think you were paying it forever.

Comment

Working...
                              X